Forums > Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted

Forums > Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted
New build- media center
Submitted 12 months ago by bcantor

How does this look for a media center to watch movies, stream shows and light web browsing. Thanks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bcantor/saved/29rL

Sorted by:

Animus_of_Chaos [3 Builds] 1 point 12 months ago

you could go a APU for light gaming or if you want just a HTPC then get a Pentium you dont need an i3. You don't need the gold rated PSU you could get a Corsair builder series and save $40. Also a AIO water cooler for an i3 is overkill get a good quiet air cooler. The prodigy is a large Mini Itx tower but that is more personal taste.

bcantor [Submitter] 1 point 12 months ago

Thanks for the input. I think minimum gaming is what I should have said. I figured the on board graphics with the 4000 could handle everything, that is why I chose the i3. I wanted to sort of future proof, and figured I could swap out the PSU for future builds if I got the hang of this stuff. I got the prodigy for $59 at microcenter, and liked its look. Thanks for your advice.

Animus_of_Chaos [3 Builds] 1 point 12 months ago

The HD 4000 Graphics are second rate compared to the APU like a A10-6800k. You dont need a gold rated PSU you could get a bronze at that wattage and it will work perfectly but if you want a better PSU and have the money go for it never say no to a good PSU. You are the opposed of most people that skimp on the PSU and then fry theyre pc.

It seems the intel vs amd opinion carries over to the graphics as well. Some features of the intel are better, but then you fall behind on the graphics. In terms of the PSU, i would rather have a working computer for a long time and pay now than pay later when it doesn't work and is fried. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input. I think minimum gaming is what I should have said. I figured the on board graphics with the 4000 could handle everything, that is why I chose the i3. I wanted to sort of future proof, and figured I could swap out the PSU for future builds if I got the hang of this stuff. I got the prodigy for $59 at microcenter, and liked its look. Thanks for your advice.

Forum Guidelines
  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed