Forums > General > General Discussion

Forums > General > General Discussion
Can I build a pc without a GPU?
Submitted 13 months ago by Killerdoom14

Hello, son. I was curious as to if I could build a pc, and add the GPU in later? I am waiting for it currently to be shipped, it may take a week or two and I would love to finish this. I worry though. Will it screw me over? Should I just wait? Or just add it in later. I really done want to get everything set up and then have to re do everything just for a gpu. Thanks!

Sorted by:

Eschaton [2 Builds] 2 points 13 months ago

If you have a spot on your motherboard to plug in the monitor, then you can go ahead and start it up. Adding in the GPU later is a breeze; just shut it all down, unplug the power, and stick it into its slot (if you have a big GPU, you might also need to hook a power cable or two from the PSU up to it). Then plug it back in, move your monitor connection to the connection on the card, and power it up! You'll want to visit the company website to get the latest graphics drivers, but you'd have to do that anyway.

Just keep in mind that until you get the graphics card in, your computer will not perform as well at graphics-intensive applications as it will with the graphics card in.

Rich410h609 1 point 13 months ago

Your computer will be fine w/o the GPU, if your motherboard offers onboard graphics everything is good.

Killerdoom14 [Submitter] 1 point 13 months ago

Will it be a pain to add later? Am I missing out on anything? Like the speed of the comp or anything? Is it better to just wait?

madcracked [2 Builds] 2 points 13 months ago

if you can wait absolutely but if you need to it will be fine

madcracked [2 Builds] 1 point 13 months ago

the amd apu series is quite capable of handling cpu intensive task as well as a decent integrated gpu. this will be a good chice if you might add a gpu later

Forum Guidelines
  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed