Forums > Hardware > CPUs

Forums > Hardware > CPUs
i3 3225 vs FX-6300 (vs i5-3570k maybe?)
Submitted 16 months ago by iiLeGiT101

Even though christmas is far out, I thought a good christmas present for my mom would be a new computer. She has a laptop and used the desktop in the living room but both are really outdated and slow, but since she doesn't care about tech stuff too much, as long as it works, she's fine with it. She's been complaining lately about both computers though, so I thought I could give her a much faster one. It's going to cost about 700-800$ and since I'm only 14, I'm gonna start saving up now with help from my older brother and older sister. I'm having trouble choosing between the i3-3225 or the FX-6300. The FX-6300 has 6 cores compared to the i3-3225's 2 cores but benchmarks have made it seem like that doesn't make too much of a big difference. It won't be for gaming or anything hardcore, just web surfing. This is going to be matched up with a Radeon 7770 but I was thinking of getting an i5-3570k and just having her use integrated graphics. What do you guys think?

Sorted by:

Oliver [4 Builds] 1 point 16 months ago

I would say FX - 6300 even though I'm an intel fan, because even if the two CPU's are the same speed, for her purposes, having six, slightly slower cores would benefit her more than having two, more powerful ones (and I'm against the int. GPU idea also, sorry).

Spirafall [1 Build] 1 point 16 months ago

I don't see what's so bad about integrated graphics. Anybody with a decent graphics card will just boo at the thought of using it, but it should be perfectly fine for web browsing and playing simple flash games and watching movies. If you can get the one with integrated graphics, you wouldn't need to worry about getting a graphics card either.

Go with whichever you catch deals on, they should all work great for her needs. You can definitely get a computer for 450-600 including monitor.

iiLeGiT101 [Submitter] [1 Build] 1 point 16 months ago

Yea It'll cost me about 650$ or so compared to the 800$+ it'll cost when if I get a gpu too. Thanks for the reply!

Teejers [2 Builds] 1 point 16 months ago

Here's a build I put together as a gift to my parents based on a i3-3225.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ay3

It's got plenty of zip and graphical power as an everyday productivity computer and media player. Without the monitor and OS, it would've been less than $500. I could've saved $50 if I went with the traditional 1TB HDD but I wanted them to experience SSD speeds (plus they don't need that much storage).

I've seen your build before I commented on it lol. I'm just nervous because I don't want the build to be slow.. I might do the same build that you did, seems to be good.

[comment deleted]

iiLeGiT101 [Submitter] [1 Build] 2 points 16 months ago

It's not for gaming....

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

10kVolts 1 point 16 months ago

Have you considered even a notebook or ultrabook for her? I guess you can ask her if she prefers something she can carry around than something that is not. $800 are far from dogs, they do give out decent performance especially for what she'll use it for.

But if not that then yeah an i5-3570k would be more than enough, integrated graphics is fine for everything except gaming but by then the Haswell generation CPUs will most likely be on the market so probably best to ask these questions when you have the money and you're ready to make the purchase.

JeBarr 1 point 16 months ago

This ^

There's no point in discussing a build so far in the future.

hesham555 0 points 16 months ago

If you wanna go AMD Plzzzz Just go 8350, anything lower will probably bottleneck your GPU!

It's clear that you didn't fully read my post because I said that it was a computer for my mom who is just gonna do basic web surfing, photo sharing, etc.

I am doing a gaming build but it will have a i7-3770k, not FX-8350.

Forum Guidelines
  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed