PCPartPicker

• Register

Looking to get into Skyrim, what should I get?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

coolguy562 6 days ago

After I upgrade my CPU, to go with my gpu. I want to get Skyrim since before I wouldn't have been able to run it. My question is, should I get the original Skyrim and do texture pack mods and stuff like that from there? Or get the remastered version and mod that? I've heard that modders have more capabilities with the remastered version but there isn't a huge pool of mods yet like with the original game.

Comments Sorted by:

Cicero_ 2 points 6 days ago

Honestly I would go with the original if you can get it on sale. Skyrim SE is just 64 bit skyrim with texture mods. You'll probably be fine with normal Skyrim as I have modded it to Oblivion (haha get it). Hundreds of mods and all sorts of fancy tools needed to get there. if you use texture mods on both, they will look the same so just go with whatever's cheaper.

DPRutledge 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

You'll probably be fine with normal Skyrim as I have modded it to Oblivion (haha get it).

I see what you did there ;-)

Radox-0 2 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

Either route works fine. Normal skyrim looks pretty with mods most definately. On the other hand the special edition has moved to 64 bit which should allow modders more flexibility to add more stuff. Depends if your willing to wait abit for some more mods to make the move. Either option works. If I was buying now, proberbly special edition me.

coolguy562 submitter 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

Ya that's what I was thinking, I don't really care about adding features to the game unless something is broken, I just want it to look good

Billy-Bob_Kenobi 1 point 6 days ago

I'd definitely recommend the special edition: the visual improvements aren't necessarily that noticeable (although one of my friends was thrilled that rain no longer ignores roofs,) but the game runs much more smoothly with the improved engine.

Tooth 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

IF you get the full original game + 3 DLC , then the remastered is a free upgrade

edit: sorry this offer expired. ignore me

DPRutledge 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

Depends. If you absolutely HAVE to have the small graphical update AND want to pay $20+ more for the game, go with the SE version. After comparing the two, though, even without mods, the original Skyrim is pretty enough for my liking.

Then again, I'm not a graphics snob ;-)