• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

WartyFruitCake 6 days ago

So basically I moved my router and modem to my room yesterday so I could FINALLY get an Ethernet connection and I go to download a game last night and I maxed 5mb/s. I pay for up to 150mb/s and I know the whole UP TO not guaranteed but I expected better... I have Cox Communications and I have the Cisco DPQ3212 Modem paired with a Netgear R650 Router. They're linked with Cat5e cables and I'm not entirely sure what difference Cat6 would make for that. Cox states that these speeds (150mb/s) are reached with a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem which I'm not sure if I even own that.. If anybody could give me any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Comments Sorted by:

drisky 2 points 5 days ago

Lucky you, I only get 1mb/s

Rlake57 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

pssssh, i get 400 kb/s with a terrible connection to game servers, or i get 100 kb/s with a good connection to game servers. I can't win.

texasmayne 2 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

4mbps for $80 a month, I wish I lived in the city

gorkti200 2 Builds 2 points 5 days ago

I have to ask cause it gets confused all the time online, but, are you downloading at 5mbps, or 5 MBps? The reason I ask being that the latter is 8x more data than the former, and below you said you were downloading at 50mbps, which is still far short of your 150mbps plan and should have caused alarm back then.

If you were downloading a game, such as on Steam, these figures are often shown in MBps. So it's not uncommon for my 100mbps plan to show me 7 - 13MBps in Steam, which is normal.

Either way I'd still say call your provider cause that means you were only getting 40mbps, far short of your plan. Cable where I grew up was notorious for never reaching its projected rates though.

Wolfemane 3 Builds 1 point 3 days ago

7 - 13MBps is kinda low for 100mbps service. [downloading from Steam right now] I have a very similar service and downloads cap around 30MB/s. Same with battle.net, Origin, and EA's garbage service. Battle.net always seems to be the exception and can peak upwards of 55MB/s+

gorkti200 2 Builds 1 point 3 days ago

55MB/s is 440mbps. Soooo.... youre getting (at peak) over four times the rate you are paying for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are the exception to the norm, not I. XD

Meanwhile 13MB/s is just over 100mbps, so it's pretty spot on.

Yeah I never really gave it much thought. But you are, of course, correct.

My service is 125down, 25up. So peak should be around 15MB/s-16MB/s. Wonder how I'm gettIng much higher numbers?

Battle.net is the only service I've seen climb way above 25-30MB/s.

gorkti200 2 Builds 1 point 2 days ago

I have only once seen my service way above what it should be. I got up to 200mbps one might. But never noticed it since that one time.

I have FiOS, and I feel like cable users get more variance in their speeds (including way over like yours).

Warlock 1 point 6 days ago

... I moved my ... and modem ...

State speeds at previous/original location.

WartyFruitCake submitter 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

Not sure actually it was a while since I checked. Upwards of 50mb/s download I believe

Warlock 3 points 6 days ago

Test at the previous location.
If bandwidth is a lot closer to what the paid plan is, call your ISP tech.

texasmayne 2 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

Need some screen shots of internet speed test.

Please go to speedtest.net and do a run. Screen shot it and post the results.

WartyFruitCake submitter 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

How do I upload the screenshot?