• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

MrLoem 6 days ago

This is my first time building a gaming computer. Here are my parts if this will help.

I put everything together by following [this video.] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlhA5q4Lfw) Since I'm not using the same exact parts that this guy was using I couldn't follow along exactly and often I had to guess what to do next. I think I did everything correctly but I am not sure.

I can get my monitor and speakers to work, but I can't get the computer to work at all. The fans don't even turn on. Am I possibly missing something?

Comments Sorted by:

FrankV01 2 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

If the fans don't turn on, assuming you have fans plugged in to the headers, I'd start at the following things.

Make sure the case's power switch is connected to the motherboard properly. This varies (and you shouldn't follow you tube videos for this since this is very case and motherboard specific). Check the manuals, please.

Second, verify that the power supply is connected to the motherboard and that the power-switch on the PSU is turned on (they often but not always have switches.)

MrLoem submitter 1 point 6 days ago

After looking, I may have identified a problem. My motherboard is a 4-pin ATX 12V, while my power supply is 8-pin. I'm not entirely sure if they are compatible.

What you say is a good point but that powers the CPU.

I made the mistake of not plugging in the CPU power on my first build and as a I recall, the fans came on but the computer didn't boot.

The power-supply you selected (nice, btw) is semi-modular. Check to see if there is an appropriate cable included.

Ok, I found out that I can "split" the cable and plugged it in. However, my computer still won't boot up. I'm not sure if my power supply is working. There's a switch on the back but I don't know what to set it to. I've tried it on both settings and neither worked. How do I know if my power supply is on?

Usually there is a LED... Looking at other pictures though, it appears this isn't the case for that PSU.

Did you ever check the case switch?

I can't find an LED. Does this mean my power supply is busted?