PCPartPicker

• Register

Gaming / Rendering Rig Suggestions (reposted in correct location)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Mithgar 1 month ago

Howdy folks. I'm new here but I am looking to replace an aging rig sometime in the next few months and am in need of some suggestions as it has been 2+ years since I've even looked at what is out there.

My budget is flexible, but I'm trying not to spend too much money. In the past, I tend to average ~$1k-1.5k for full system builds.

I live in Denver, CO.

I already have a perfectly serviceable PSU, Case, and all other peripherals.

Typical usage :

Gaming - I am a gamer, so I need a rig which can play any game I throw at it. However, I have NO need for the top end hyper resolution settings in games. I'm quite content knocking down the settings in-game to make the game run smoothly, even if I appreciate a pretty game. I tend to play strategy games predominantly with a sprinkling of MMO and RPGs. My monitor is a 1920x1080. Not getting a 4k or 24"+ monitor for years yet.

Streaming - I do some moderate streaming and recording. To that end, I need a rig with enough grunt power to handle the rendering of the games as well as the recording process.

Rendering - I work in the architecture / city planning fields. I generally don't use my main rig for these projects, but I need to have the option to do so on occasion. I work with CAD, Adobe, and GIS software. To this end, I know that I need a good solid state drive for working files locations and programs as well as a ton of ram to float the larger files. Generally speaking, I'm expecting to run 64 gigs of ram. The speeds, though, are outside my scope of understanding, these days.

Equipment :

Processor - I'm an Intel man. Simply put, they've served me so well for so long that I would be hard pressed to look elsewhere. I don't need or want the top-end super expensive processor. I will NOT be doing any overclocking of any kind. I need a steady workhorse of a processor without a ton of frills and which is sufficient in power without breaking the bank.

Video Card - I am hoping that my current R9 270 will be salvageable and turn out to not be one of the factors in my rig's recent slow-downs and crashes. If it needs replacing, though, I'm open to suggestions within the high performance for the price with an eye on being used for at least 3 to 5 years into the future. It also needs to have the capacity to run 3 monitors / TVs.

RAM - I will be looking to do 64 gigs in this rig. I have no clue where the speeds and types are at these days. I need this to be stable and powerful, but not super fast. It needs to have multiple programs running constantly and be able to float multi-gig files through Adobe and GIS platforms.

Hard Drives - I need a VERY stable main hard drive for this rig. It should be solid state and be something which, though not lightning fast, will never give me cause for concern on lost files or getting bogged down. 256 gigs seems like a moderate place to start, but I will happily go larger if the price is right.

Motherboard - Okay, now here we get to the piece which I have always had the most trouble picking out. So many extra bells and whistles and labels and lights tend to come on modern MBs that the price can vary hundreds of dollars without giving me any appreciable increase in performance / usage. I need this thing to be stable (catching the trend?) and simply work. I want it to have native 5.1 surrounds sound or better. It needs to have at least 4+ USB 3.x ports. It needs to be able to hold the processor, ram, and video cards mentioned above, as well as have at least 2-3+ slots for expansions (sound cards, capture cards, wireless cards, etc). Generally speaking, I'm looking for a simple, functional MB that holds the parts and doesn't come with $100 of extras for triple video cards and overlcocking madness, etc.

Extras - Things which I will be looking to add at a later time include a high-end sound card with the capacity to split audio so 1 program has a different output from another, a capture card to potentially replace OBS sometime in the next year or two, and a wireless card to give potential mobility options.

Comments Sorted by:

Duncan034 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Since you have a PSU and case I have not included those.

The RX 480 will deliver 80-90fps on most games at ultra settings at 1080p. No need to break the bank and get more expensive video cards. There are two DisplayPort 4.0 as well as two HDMI 2.0, on top of a DVI-D connector for you to connect to your 3 monitors.

Since you're streaming and rendering I decided to go for an X99 build. The 6800K is a 6 core (6 physical, 6 physical core, 12 total) which should help with rendering speeds and multitasking, whatnot. 64GB of 3200MHz RAM will suit you well, with there being space to upgrade to 128GB in the future should you wish. The CPU is overclockable, but to my knowledge there aren't any X99 chipset processors which aren't. I have put in a good mid-range CPU cooler which will keep your CPU cool and quiet.

The ASRock Taichi motherboard has 3 USB 3.0, 1 USB 3.1 Type A and one USB 3.1 Type C, on top of 3 USB 2.0 ports, all of which are supported by ESD Protection by ASRock ( I sound like a promoter here!). The motherboard has built-in wifi, so you do not need to worry about getting an additional Wi-Fi card. There are 3 PCI E 3.0 x16 slots, as well as 2 PCI E 2.0 x1 slots for all the expansion slots you will need. The motherboard has 7.1 CH HD audio as well.

A Samsung 250GB 850 Pro SSD, one of the, if not the most reliable SSD in the market at the moment. The Pro series is one of the most reliable in its class. There is also an additional 1TB of hard drive space should you wish.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $409.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler $56.69 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $169.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $169.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Jet
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.66 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR Video Card $244.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1441.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 15:44 EST-0500

Any questions feel free to ask.

Mithgar submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Thank you for the list. It is a great place for me to start. I'm curious, if you had to knock the price down to under $1k, what changes would you make?

Duncan034 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

If I had to I would do these things. HOWEVER- you will see a drop in performance, especially for rendering. I replaced the SSD with a larger capacity one- not a bad company, but reliability won't be quite as high as the Samsung.

This motherboard does not have on-board wifi, but it has everything else you wanted. I've added in a Wi-Fi adapter to connect into a PCI lane.

Now you have an I7-6700 which is a quad core- 8 cores in total if you count the 4 virtual cores created by hyperthreading. Removed the optional aftermarket CPU cooler for the stock one which comes with the I7-6700.

Lastly, a downgraded RX 480.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $108.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $83.35 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card $199.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1072.18
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1062.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 22:07 EST-0500
Joej191 -1 points 29 days ago

no psu ?

Duncan034 3 Builds 3 points 29 days ago

Read the description.

[comment deleted]
DeCanter 2 points 29 days ago

I up voted that first build. Good starting foundation type build for the streaming rendering recording. How about a suggestion for a larger capacity ssd possibly an m2 if necessary of around 1 tb of good reliability. And possibly a good HDMI capture card for the vixia 700 camcorder. I'll probably build this also.

shadow42085 -1 points 27 days ago

Well the build is solid I cant justify using a used PSU but that's your choice as have been proven in a youtube video cant remember which one though that using a used PSU cant have nasty consequences

Duncan034 3 Builds 2 points 24 days ago

He's using a PSU from his previous build... How will it have nasty consequences?

shadow42085 -1 points 24 days ago

regardless if its from a previous build or not.
using a used PSU is still a bad idea it can cause a short then his shiny new build will become an overpriced paperweight in the worst case scenario

Duncan034 3 Builds 2 points 24 days ago

This makes no sense.

Oh yeah of course you're correct, I shouldn't go ahead and take my HX850i (80+ Platinum with 10 year warranty) and put it into a newer build because it'll short the build.

Riight. So judging by what you say case reviewers like hardware canucks must go through a lot of parts since they use the same PSUs for their different case reviews and parts. I don't know what youtube video you watched but it simply does not make sense.

Why would a PSU fry a new build?

Solemnsong 2 points 24 days ago

Lol the only way a used psu is a bad idea is if it was a crap psu or really old psu to begin with. Glad you responded to that!

shadow42085 -1 points 23 days ago

depends on how new it is plus that warranty only covers the psu and I just found the video https://youtu.be/NDmOHU6lmRw here and well just becareful some parts inside the psu may start having issues and plus those reviewers only use the psu for the videos its not a day to day driver in a build so they can get away with it

Mithgar submitter 1 point 19 days ago

For the record and as a reference, here is the current system build (with additional fans, drives, etc which will just be carried over with the SSD and PSU). The current rig actually works just fine for base-line work in the video capturing / editing, gaming, streaming, and CAD + Adobe Rendering projects which I work on. It is, however, a bit sluggish on my larger files, and is starting to have occasional freezes / crashes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ch2RHN

PS. Things which I am going to be looking at adding to the rig over the next year or so include an audio capture device with an equalizing / leveling hub. I prefer external, but if an internal with a good interface and price-point comes along, I'll look at those, too.

shadow42085 1 point 18 days ago

I am just saying using a used psu comes with risk in a complete new build and in my opinion using an older psu is just not good idea literally you get a evga G2 psu quite inexpensive it doesn't add much to the build. but regardless what me or anyone say's its your build and if you willing to take the risk then its your call. also if you planning adding additional internal parts you may have to upgrade the psu anyways. so good luck and enjoy your new build I wish you the best