• Log In
  • Register


Thinking of upgrading - input welcome

by DigitalEvolution



CPU Clock Rate


GPU Core Clock Rate


GPU Effective Memory Clock Rate

Note: This completed build is pending moderation. Once approved by a moderator it will appear in the list of completed builds after being processed.


I'm thinking about upgrading my current system to something like this. My system uses are video editing, 3D modeling and graphic design as well as gaming. Eventually I'll add full liquid cooling and stuff like that but doing it all at once is a bit expensive. I will also be eventually doing a multi-monitor setup.

Current system specs:

  • i7-930 OC to 4.6 GHz
  • Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
  • MSI Big Bang Xpower Motherboard
  • 24 GB (4x6) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2133 RAM
  • 2x OCZ Agility3 60gb in RAID0
  • WD Caviar Black 500gb 7200rpm HDD
  • 2x MSI Radeon HD 6870 1gb in Crossfire
  • Antec 900 case
  • Seasonic x750 gold mudular psu
  • LG BD-RW with Lightscribe Tech
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Vizio 42" 1080p 5ms 120hz TV as my monitor

Pros for upgrading:

  • 1440p monitor @ 27" is double the pixel density of current TV (monitor) and I could then put my TV in the living room
  • Ability to run anything I want on the best settings and not have poor frame rates (anything less than 60 causes me eye strain)
  • Faster video rendering and truer color
  • PCI-E 3.0 for future upgrades


  • $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Current board has triple channel RAM and higher ram speed, which I can't top unless I go with a 2011 socket, which raises the price substantially for minimal gain
  • SSD speeds are similar to current - only upgrading capacity

Other Thoughts:

Some parts I will move from the old system to the new and replace with cheaper components before I sell the old one to a friend (for $1000) such as the H100 cooler (replace with a Hyper 212) and the BD-RW will be swapped for the dvd-rw i have listed below. That still leaves me spending more than $3000 to upgrade.

I could just buy the video cards and monitor and call it a day since, if forums are to be believed, the cards don't even use the full bandwidth of 2.0 (since the xpower board can run SLI at x16/x16). Though doing this I might have to upgrade my psu as well.

Do you think if I'm spending this much I should just go for the 2011 socket even though it will really only help me render faster?

What are your thoughts? Feel free to share anything that you may think of as a pro or con to upgrading.


There are no comments.