This build failed.
I had it together several times and in several iterations but it was never stable. The exact reason was never really determined but when I finally replaced the motherboard with an ASUS, the rest of the components worked well.
So, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.
I ultimately use this computer in a revised version. The main components listed here are still the same. There is now more RAM and many more HDDs in the system. The only thing I hope to do is add an SSD. Once I swapped out the ASRock motherboard for the ASUS all of my problems magically disappeared... regardless of what other components (or the load) I put on the computer.