I'm finally putting my build up as completed after two years of working on it! Here's how the description will go: I'll talk about how it's all setup, then include the description/update notes on the bottom from the parts list. No dates since I forgot to record that stuff.
1) Tower: I don't need to delve into this too much ironically enough, as all of the parts are already listed. But this has largely been untouched through the years other than swapping a 290 for a 295x2, the psu from corsair 750w to a EVGA 1000w modular gold plus rating, and a 212 evo cooler to a NZXT Kraken x41 cooler. The build went well, especially since it was my first build. My description down below contains notes on potential future upgrades.
2) Audio: I do like some good sound. I have two pioneer bs22's hooked up to a bic f12 sub on speaker out. Then more speaker wires from receiver out on the sub go to the smsl 36a amp. Then I have analog cables hooked from there to an smsl sd793 dac/amp. Finally, I have a spdif cable from the dac to the sound card on the motherboard. Complicated, but I used reddit.com/r/zeos 2.1 setup guide for this. I also have a recently purchased fidelio x1 for some peaceful gaming audio, which sounds great.
3)Monitors: I have a Samsung pnf5300 plasma tv mounted on the wall, above a 3 monitors. Two are dell 23 inch ips monitors with a crossover 27 inch qhd ah-ips monitor. They are all hooked up to the video card via hdmi cable and active mini displayport adapters. This was a pain in the arse to get it hooked up properly. But it works well enough. I use the plasma tv for gaming/movies/music screen. The bottom three are for browsing the web/programming/extra screen space. Overkill? probably.
4) Desk: I'll include keyboard/mouse in this. I originally had a razer blackwidow I found in the dumpster. It got old, so I bought a corsair k70 with blue switches. I have a strong preference toward blues :) Plus the build quality is amazing! Works much better than I thought it would. Then I have a logitech performance mx I got for very cheap. I prefer bigger mice that form to my hand over gaming mice. Notes for future buyes: Always test out a mouse or keyboard (or most any product) before you buy. Don't blindly follow recommendations and reviews, as I did not care for the g502, far too small for my hands. The desk itself is an ikea galant I got on craigslist. Love the space, but A-legs are horrible. One broke already.
5) OS/System Usage: I have two OSes that I use with my system. I use windows 10 for gaming/media and linux for work. I have linux installed on an external hdd, and windows installed on an ssd. Thanks to the built-in hotswap dock, I plug in the linux hard drive while the machine is off, then boot it up into linux. To go into windows, I unplug the hdd and it goes into windows. I don't like dealing with the grub os switching. This just works better for me.
6) Final notes from past two years:
- I upgraded the gpu from a r9 290 to a XFX 295x2. Crossfire is... not worth it imo. I should have just gotten a fury, oh well. When I do get the benefits of it, games are buttery smooth.
- I wish I would have gone with Intel 1150 socket, just for the upgrade-ability. Perhaps I'll wait on AMD Zen
- The write speed on the 840 EVO does slow down over time, that would have been nice to know
- I wish I would have gotten a 3tb drive, now I awkwardly have 2 1tb drives (one I got for free)
- The full tower is HUGE. I don't need all that space, a mid size that's more sleek would have been preferred (perhaps NZXT H440). BUT, building in it was a breeze! So much space, great build quality, and lots of great features. Just, very very big...
- I had to upgrade the power supply to EVGA Supernova 2 1000 watt
- I added a gigabyte GC-WB867D-I based on intel wifi modules... it's fantastic, seriously the ONLY good pcie wireless card I found.
- The Asus motherboard probably has the best drivers and bios ever. Seriously, their motherboards are great. No problems whatsoever. Overclocks like a beast.
- I upgraded to 16gb ram, overkill? Nah. Good for running my VM's in linux environment anyway.
- Decided to use bookshelf speakers with DAC/Amplifier. Sounds amazing. Used r/zeos recommended wiring guide for a sub/bookshelf desktop setup (http://i.imgur.com/Z8FMJ.png)
- Upgraded to a NZXT Kraken x41. I was disappointed to find that the massive case did not properly fit this cpu cooler, so I had to drill holes in the back of the case where the 140mm case fan was to properly fit it. It was a scary process, but it seems to work fine. *Upgraded old razer keyboard to a corsair k70 mx blues. I love mx blues.
- Logitech g502 was taken to use at work, I now use a performance mx. Much better suited for my large hands.
- Acer h23bid was sold, replaced with my plasma tv which was mounted above the three monitor setup. Bookshelf speakers were mounted up there as well.
- Desk used is an older ikea galant I found on craigslist. These desks are great, but the a-type legs are an abomination. One of mine broke already, and is being supported by a small crappy drawer.
- Chair is a generic office chair from officedepot, got it for my birthday from my gf when it was on sale. It's comfy enough.
- Looks like HAL thanks to the red theme. I'll name it HAL. Only took 2 years to name it properly.