First of all this site and its users are very helpful. I wanted to build a rig for under 1000 and with my tax refund, I couldn't resist. I have also been wanting to build a good rig, since I made the mistake of buying a M14X R1 Alienware laptop after they were bought out by Dell (if that matters). Ironically that machine was a constant reminder that "i could probably build something way better and cheaper".
So, weeks leading up to doing my taxes, I did a decent amount of lurking and getting ideas. I'm sure people are going to say why didn't you do this or get that, but since I am so impatient I created a part list using parts that were in-stock at my local Micro Center so I could just pick it up and get straight to it.
I don't plan on overclocking and I wanted to play most games on the highest settings with good frame rates, and with better graphics than console.
I apologize if this logic/sequence is dumb to the experts out there.. i iz noob. Here are some problems I ran into (in-case any first timers are reading this)
- on first boot, nothing was being displayed. No bios or anything, no beeps (yes i installed the speaker).
- I tried different ram slots, still no display.
- removed ram. no display, but beeps indicating no ram (duh)
- re-installed ram, then removed gpu
- I can see!!! bios!
- went through bios and enabled boot beep (was disabled by default i guess)
- install windows. Whops did not plug in sata cable for hdd.
- install windows successfully now.
- updated all the drivers then shut down.
- re-installed gpu still no display on boot.
- finally remove and reinstall the cmos battery -voila! that was it!
Thanks for checking out my rig!