My old laptop (Asus Q501LA-BBI5T03) was not keeping up with my work demands, (namely more optional monitor support, more USBs since my mouse and keyboard already take up 2/3, and more storage). I needed a desktop, something simple that would hopefully live long enough to be repurposed to be a nice Linux box, to sit side by side with my gaming windows machine with synergy for mouse/keyboard sharing.
I reused my SSD came from the asus laptop. Added a 16gb m.2 (from someone's old chromebook i think), and a spare HD i have from an older laptop (both not as in description, merely approximations)
The Windows 10 is the retail, not OEM for obvious reasons.
Reasons for part choice. 1) CPU - Good powerful APU, could have chosen the 2400G, but decided i wanted to get the extra since my budget was 500, and i hope to keep this in useful service for as long as possible.
2) Mobo - not my favorite, or first choice, but it was the cheapest with 3 outputs, and an m.2 slot. Major downside is only 1 4ping for fans for the case. Might do a work around on this.
3) was the cheapest duel channel 16gb @3000mhz. I already had 12GB in my laptop since i maxed the upgrades, and some of the ram is needed for graphics, so i was not going to trade down to 8.
4) SSD - MX500 - Solid boot drive
5) Case - cheapest functional case i could find
6) PSU - cheapest functional PSU i could find over 500W / with at least 80+ bronze, that has black sleeved cables, because i'm not entirely anti-ascetic.
7) Retail windows 10, sadly my complex systems of macros that i use to run my office require this OS. :( -Plan to reuse it in a VM at some point in the future when i can turn this baby into a linux Mint work after my other laptop - (Q502LA-BBI5T12) running mint dies or becomes to old. (Yes i have two nearly identical laptops).
--The m.2 has my own homemade heat sink.