This is my first rig since 2001. Built for gaming first of all and secondly for video/photo processing, work etc. Monitor hasn't been purchased yet as my budget which was around 1500$ originally was exceeded. Plan to buy a G-SYNC monitor, not sure yet whether IPS is worth additional several hundred bucks as I don't have strong plans to professionally deal with color, will see. Also 2nd 970 planned for a later future when 1 won't be enough anymore.
I like what I did, it's pretty much silent and fast and looking not bad at all as for me. Hope you will like my rig too, your comments and suggestions are more than welcome.
Some more info on the parts:
- CPU - stock frequency so far tried to overclock to 4.7 but getting immediate 100C, didn't mess with that too much, I guess manual voltage setting might do the trick.
- GPU - stock frequencies as well, once shifted all to the maximum via Precision x16, didn't see any gain in FurMark, not sure that's reasonable as this card already has been factory overclocked. Backplate added.
- Memory, under 2133 XMP profile. Doesn't fit my cooler in height a little, if you decide to use the same Phanteks model search for a lower profile sticks, at least 2mm less.
- CPU cooler connected with PWM adapter, definitely worth that, you can set your custom curve and noise significantly reduces. I saw some review saying that those fans are already barely noticeable and no need for PWM. Don't believe, the difference is huge. Fan frames painted in black, sleeving done.
- Exhaust fans connected via undervolting adapters, that improves silence, really. Temps are not affected too much.
- SSDs are in RAID 0.
- HDDs are in RAID 5.
- Stock case fans are really silent, they are great. A+. Corsairs are MUCH louder.
- The case is good looking and offers great cable management capabilities. I have enough space for all my parts so I glad I didn't go for a Full-ATX option, that would be just enormous. BTW, one of two front USB ports doesn't work :(