I wanted to have a complete build including Monitor and Keyboard for under 1000$. I also had to give secondary priority to a black and red build.
1. CPU: The CPU is good for OC and It has enough threads to run the latest games (Medium to high settling). I was able to achieve a stable OC 4.0 GHz using Hyper Evo 212.
1.1 OC - CPU: OC - 4.0 GHz
I could have further increased the Clock speed to 4.4 GHz but I will keep that for a later time
2. GPU: I did not want to spend more than 300$ for the GPU and I found that R9 380 was the best card in the market for the price rand.
2.1 OC - GPU: Core clock: 1050 MHz Memory Clock: 1500 MHz
I'm planning to get the 480 later this year provided it performs as promised by AMD (Having big hopes).
3. CASE: Corsair Carbide R300 (Windowed) was a good deal for me at 49$ (price has gone up now). It has good airflow and space for a radiator.
4. PSU: The wattage capacity of the PSU seems to be low but for the time being it is able to deliver the power needed. If I swap the GPU with a 480, I will get additional headroom. Even otherwise, I have used Extreme's PSU power calculator and it gives around 453W (including OC)
5. Monitor: I wanted to get an IPS monitor as I will be needing it for reading Journal papers (graduate student life) and so I ended up with the Acer 23.8" IPS monitor. It was the cheapest IPS monitor that I could find with a screen size of 23.8". I do not mind the refurbished monitor as it has the same warranty of a new one.
6. Keyboard This is my first mechanical keyboard. It has Blue switches( similar to Cheery MX Blue but not as good). It does the task for its price point at 40$ and I would highly recommend it for people who are trying to get their first mechanical Keyboard.
7. Motherboard: MSI makes great gaming motherboards and the 970 Gaming ATX AM3+ is a good buy for the price. It is also a good overclocker. The only drawback is that the voltage tends to drop from what was input in the Bios (only a problem during OC). This is an annoying fail safe feature incorporated by MSI and there is no way to bypass the voltage drop.
8. Desk I would suggest IKEA Limmon desk for this setup and it costs only 35$.
9. FUTURE UPGRADES:
- PSU - 650W
- GPU - R 480
- CPU - FX 8350 or better
- Proper cable management
- Crysis 3 (High, 2xMSAA): 40-50 FPS
- DOTA 2 (Ultra): 119 FPS
- Ashes of the Singularity (High): 50 FPS
- Cities Skyline (Ultra): 50 FPS
1. Unigine heaven(Extreme preset) (GPU OC: CC - 1050 MHz, MC - 1500 MHz): 44.8 FPS 2. Cinebench (CPU OC: 4.0 GHz): 473 3. Firestrike (CPU/GPU OC): 6673