So, a month ago, I threw together this trash heap as a proof of concept for mining. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/c9KBD3 <--trash heap
I wanted to see if I could actually make any money on it... and a month later, I've made about $60. So now that I know it's at least worth it, its time to perform some de-ghetto-fication on the trash heap and make room for more GPUs.
First things first, the two AMD space heaters trapped inside the gaming case was just to hot. Running 100% for literally 24/7 requires an open air set up. How do I solve this without cutting into my profit? Enter a dirty old milk crate.
I cut out some slots for the mobo and PSU, and set the mobo on a piece of cardboard to protect the pins and such. Everything in this rig is connected via zip-ties, so it can be easily changed and up-graded when I get more GPU's... which will be happening after its next payout. (See bottom of descript to see what the payout bought!)
It took me a few tries to figure out the orientation of how I wanted the PSU's, but I eventually found out that they just BARELY fit side by side laying flat. I cut out some extra chunks of milk crate so they could breathe a bit better.
Cooling: I took the fans out of the other case, as its not going to be used anymore, and set them up as a push/pull on either side of the crate to help circulate fresh air around the GPUs. This set up with only just two fans, has dropped the GPU's temperatures by 8-12C when at full load. This is a drastic improvement, as the old set up was utilizing 4 fans as well as a high performance delta server fan, which was loud as hell. Now it's silent as can be and runs much much cooler. The milk crate works wonders.
Storage: Basic HDD and SSD set up, normally it would just be the SSD, but this computer will also be functioning as my home cloud for bulk storage.
Power: I only had two spare PSU's at the time of assembly, and neither one supported dual GPU's... so both are getting used. Before I bought the little add2psu board shown in the pics, I had the 2nd PSU jump started with a paperclip. The paperclip worked fine, but I had to flip the switch on the PSU at the time exact time as I turned on the other PSU, or they wouldn't be synced up. The new board takes care of the timing and I just have to turn the computer on normally, and the board boots up the 2nd PSU on time. When I get another GPU I'll have to get some molex to 8pin adapters, or upgrade PSU as well.
Network: Using a basic USB wifi adapter, it gets surprisingly good connection being out in the garage next to the HVAC/Water Heater.
If you didn't have a milk crate lying around like me... they can be found for $5-$10... walmart sells them. All in all I wish I had started this a long time ago, it would have already payed for my 1070 :) But the goal of this now is to do exactly that... it will generate the funds to upgrade my gaming machines and my wife's. :)
Thanks for readin!
Update: I used the profit from this rig to buy a used 1000w PSU, and 2 extra tahiti cards. (for $180 total) This rig now makes approximately $115 a month. You can track its progress and performance here! :D https://zec.nanopool.org/account/t1fpJhZcRsF2APS5PSf28fC8xPRGhE6vYp5/POS
See last two pictures.