- Purpose of System: Gaming, browsing net, videos - downloaded or youtube, Folding@Home, etc.
- Budget: @ Around $1200 - $1400 (or so)
- Overclocking: No.
The last system I had was a HP Pavilion Slimline s7700n. AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (If I remember correctly), 3 GB of RAM. Couldn't play anything play past I'd think 2005, not Oblivion, not Portal, wouldn't you be a be frustrated? This new system should CRUSH the previous system.
What I wanted from a new system
- USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports, Firewire & or eSata port
- Support for DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort
- Quad Core
What software did I want to run? Pretty much any game from the past 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 decades @ the highest settings I could. I wanted to contribute to F@H, like I had done with the PS3 when I got it in 2010. Despite having a K edition CPU, I am not going to overclock for a few reasons:
- Philip should know as well as I do how bloody hot it can in Texas during the summer (39+ Celsius) for days at a time it seems.
- I personally, prefer air, two I wouldn't trust the pipes of a liquid cooling to not break or leak
- Compared to the old system and or even the PS3/Wii I have, the CPU/GPU @ stock settings should crush what either of those systems or the slimline I had could do.
Although I have the monitor listed, I don't have it yet but that is what I will eventually get. Also, I haven't started building yet, but there are pictures of the items in their case.