I did a mostly cosmetic upgrade of my 2014 build, going with a black and green color scheme. I couldn't help but use the Razer-designed S340 from NZXT. I'm not obsessed with Razer, but I do have a couple of their products and do enjoy them. This version of my favorite case was too hard to pass up for this upgrade. I basically just transferred the guts from the old S340 case they were sitting in, to this one, while adding in the Hue, the Riing fans, and the Grid+ fan controller.
The new hardware was:
- 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz DDR3 RAM (instead of the two 8GB DIMMS that were in the old S340)
- NZXT Grid+ V2 fan controller
- NZXT IU01 internal USB expansion (since I needed three internal USB headers for the Hue, Grid, and Kraken)
The cosmetic upgrades were:
- Thermaltake Riing fans in green
- Bitfenix Black/Green multisleeved extension cables
- NZXT Hue+ system w/ 4 extensions
- Razer-designed NZXT S340 case
- First time working with sleeved cables. They definitely look great, but can be difficult to work with.
- I really like the Hue. I don't actually use the effects much, but I just like how it integrates with all of the other NZXT components in the CAM software. I do have the strips that are behind the cable shroud and inside the front cover breathing green, which adds a nice, subtle effect.
- Really like the Grid. I have all the fans running through it, and setting up profiles and curves is super easy.
- The basement is packed. Adding the extensions really filled up the limited space down there (not to mention adding the Grid, too). I was thinking that I might grab another 980 Ti in the future, but I'm honestly not sure I will have enough room to run the power cables. If I do, I think I'll be looking at getting sleeved cables, instead of extensions, to cut down on all the excess cable that needs to be hidden.
Overall, I'm very happy with this build and it turned out better than I thought it would!