Wanted to try my hand at a custom build with a set price limit ($1,000.00). Thanksgiving to Christmas - holiday sales were very good, so why not?
- AMD FX-6350 CPU: Good CPU for the money, Black box, 6 Cores and I wanted to try an AMD build.
- Corsair H100i GTX: Wanted to experience a liquid cooled unit and found this one on sale.
- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ Mobo: Everything I needed for the build and future experience in overclocking. Great inherent features too!
- G.Skill Ares Series RAM (2x8GB - DDR3-2133): I bought 16 GB and got 16GB more as a Christmas gift. Plenty of memory now!
- XFX Radeon R9-380 2GB DD Video: Ratings and reviews were very good, great sales price. What more can I say?
- NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Case (White): I liked the looks of the case, and the ease of cable management was excellent. Came with all the component parts and two 120mm cooler fans. Good price.
- EVGA 650 GQ PSU (Gold): Good brand, nice sales price, plenty of power based on my projected usage on this build. Would have liked to have had flat cables throughout though.
- Asus DVD/CD Writer: Nice, & neat fit. Does what I need for loading to the system.
- Cooler Master fans (120mm): - Bought two each of Blue and Red just to see what the color scheme might become. With the two white and two already on the XFX Radeon Card, I now have 8 fans in the case!
- NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller: Wanted something to monitor the fans and temps but would look good on the final build. Does a nice job of displaying the temps and % of speeds on each fan. Quiet too.
- SanDisk 240Gb SSD: Utilizing this as my boot drive and some games. Got a really good price on sale (local).
- WD 2TB Black Caviar Hard Drive: Surprise Christmas gift! Secondary drive/Storage.