The UberBoxen replaces a 7 year old system, and the planned use is for gaming, virtualization, and video editing. The following components were pulled from my previous build thus the price is much higher than if I purchased it today:
- m4 256GB SSD (Purchased in 2012)
- 2TB Hard Drive (Purchased in 2009) - used for data storage
- Seasonic Power Supply (Purchased in 2013)
- Plextor PX-880SA-26 (Purchased in 2009)
- Acer Acer H276HLbmid monitor (Purchased in 2014)
Since the initial completion of the build, the following was changed:
- The m4 drive that I was using as a boot drive has since been replaced with the 840EVO. The M4 is now a work drive.
- The 2TB drive is a data storage drive.
- The video card was initially an old nVidia 460card , then replaced with the 980 card.
- I initially had 8GB of memory, but that has been replaced with 32GB of memory. While 8GB is plenty for gaming (for now), virtualization via Virtualbox and video editing can use as much memory as possible. Unfortunately, Windows 7 Home Premium only supports 16GB.
- Migration to Windows 10 when available. (Fall, 2015?)
- Upgrading to a 1 TB SSD drive. (Black Friday, 2015)
- Upgrading to a G-Sync monitor (2016)
- Windows 10 was installed as an upgrade in August, 2015.
- No more hard drives. In 2016, I built a FreeNAS server for storage and backups (24 TB effective storage). I have two SSDs now: a 1TB for programs and data, and a 256GB "scratch" drive.
- The monitor is now a 2K G-Sync Monitor.
- The 980 video card was swapped out with a 1080 card in July, 2018.
- I'm now using Edifier R2000DB Speakers