This computer is called Tanjunna. I built this for my grandma E. who had no clue that I made her very first computer. Of course, she knows by now. To clarify any confusion, this is my father’s mother. Since I already built grandma A’s desktop. The real estimate cost of the build was $300.86 if I include my past purchases.
The purpose of this build is extremely basic: Netflix and surfing the internet. That is truly it. However, it will translate between English and Japanese when she uses it. I will also teach her on how to use her computer. Ever since she saw me build two computers from last year, I somehow piqued her interest to learn and have me build her a computer.
Even though she kept asking how much money to give but I told her to not worry about it. My family does not need to give me any money when I build them computers. I only need time. You can just view the first 22 photos for the final result.
I did reuse my Corsair RAM from 2014, which was used temporarily to run builds but now it has a home. The Celeron processor from 2015 was used for 3 months and will stay in this PC. Lastly, I had a leftover 6 inch SATA cable from 2014. I normally stock myself with extra computer parts for emergencies or something was saved because it was not needed from a previous build.
This motherboard feels a bit sturdier and looks awfully pretty. The layout for the front panel is very tight with the Mini-Box case but I cannot complain too much about that. The WiFi was easy to secure in with two 3/8 wrenches but again it was a tight hold inside the case while I am turning the other nut to secure the WiFi completely in the I/O shield.
I got this motherboard with a rebate of $20, in check. Very happy with the savings! Despite the tight spacing in a Mini-Box, this Motherboard is pretty impressive. I would recommend it for an easy navigation of the BIOS and plenty of features. No issues whatsoever when booting and loading Linux with this Motherboard.
Ubuntu is something I been wanting to try for quite some time but I never knew when until now. I have been enjoying it so far. Google Chrome is used to play Netflix. I have Firefox displaying English and Japanese text. Since the needs for this computer is very simple and no intention to game even though it could play simple games.
I did have one major issue from Ubuntu 14.04: Netflix stopped working in Google Chrome after the updates were completed in May. So I thought it did not hurt to clean install 16.04 at this point since Netflix was not displaying video content anymore. When I installed 16.04, I ran into another problem: the WiFi would disconnect every time I tried to install Ubuntu’s updates. For some reason when I ✓ Pre-released updates (xenial-proposed) it kept the WiFi connected and allowed the updates to go through. This solved it for me but maybe not for everyone.
In conclusion, I am happy on how it turned out. I also enjoyed troubleshooting with Ubuntu even though it did not take too long to figure it out after some researching. I will try to improve my paracording with more practice, buying more resources and another tool with PSU crimps. I had one bad crimp with the yellow ATX wire from the PicoPSU. It makes it difficult to fix a bad crimp when I do not have the right tool and therefor it changed my first plan on how to paracord the wires in the first place.
Thank you for taking your time to read this. Please feel free to leave any feedback, constructive criticism and questions. I will update anything for errors or if I forgot to mention something.