I use this system for web surfing at the moment. When I see some good deals come up on Black Friday, I will do some more upgrading.
1) CASE - Lian-Li PC-K57W ATX Mid Tower
I got this on Newegg as a closeout for just $39.99 back in April, 2012. This case has fantastic cable management.
2) POWER SUPPLY - Corasir 430W Semi-Modular
I got this with a promo code and a $20 rebate for just $22.49 in July, 2013.
3) OPTICAL DRIVE - Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
Bought this DVD burner last July for $15.99.
4) CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core
I'm using the stock heat sink/fan. Seems to run cool. Bought this CPU back in March, 2011 for $99.99.
5) MEMORY - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
They still sell this, but the price is way higher than the $39.99 I paid back when I first got it.
6) MOTHERBOARD - ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX
This motherboard originally had an AM2 4850e CPU in it. I flashed the BIOS and put an AM3 X4 CPU in it. I'm using the onboard graphics at the moment for web surfing. The Windows 7 WEI numbers are - CPU 7.3, RAM 7.3, Graphics 4.5, Gaming graphics 5.5, HDD 5.9
7) STORAGE - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
When I first bought this HDD, it was considered a large size. Now, it's almost full of data.