My first desktop PC.
Coming from an Alienware 17 R2 Laptop:
- NVIDIA GeForce® GTX™ 980m (4 GB GDDR5)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4980HQ (Quad-Core: 4x 2.8-4.0 GHz + Hyper-Threading)
So that's a leap from a 5th Gen i7 Core to a 9th Gen i9 Core, and from GTX 980M to RTX 2080 Ti.
Prior to that, I owned some basic HP laptop from 2011. It had fingerprint biometric authentication, so that was cool.
Why get this build?
- My laptop was thermally throttling
- Experience 1440p @ 144+ Fps, ultra everything
- I had some extra money after reconsidering my future plans
- Time passing, lonely & bored so I decided to play more games
Fun fact: I got about 5 games in my Steam account as of February 5, 2019. I played some games from my brother's library though.
On the basis of my everyday usage which includes: gaming, music, web browsing and reading.
Ambient temperature is normally around 22-23 C with AC on, 25-27 C without.
Monitor is OC'ed to display 165 Hz instead 144 Hz.
- CPU, GPU idle temperatures: 28-32 C, 30-32 C
- CPU, GPU load temperatures: 48 C, 68-72 C
- CPU cores: 4.9 GHz, it just runs at that by default
- GPU cores: 1700 MHz, +95 MHz OC
- GPU memory: 7700 MHz, +700 MHz OC
GPU: those are my stable configuration, I tried +100 MHz for the core but Destiny 2 crashed after 4 Hrs of gaming. Anything above causes Destiny 2 to crash and gives an error message.
This thing runs cool, I love it.
Running a push-pull configuration (sandwiched AIO radiator):
- 3x front intakes
- 2x AIO intakes
- 1x rear exhaust
- 1x PSU bottom intake
Plenty of positive pressure for 3 dust filters. Hopefully not much dust in the long run.
I adjusted the fan curves [DC] on my 4x Corsair 120 SP fans to be pretty quiet, almost silent on normal usage while keeping the CPU and GPU at 35 C
Corsair AIO: can't hear this one on idle and non gaming usage
- Pump on balanced profile, 2100 RPM on idle and load
- 2x fans on balanced, 450 RPM on idle
Honestly, I could make the fans run faster because my AC is louder, but I see no reason to do so as everything is cool enough. Also, I have my headphones on most of the time. (I don't have desktop speakers).
GPU 3x fans always on at 35% fan speed. Can't hear it. Goes up to 70% while gaming.
Thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Any comment is welcomed.