• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Comments (Continued)

WEEEEE 1 point 29 months ago

But at what cost? The extra wattage costs a 30% premium, for a 5% efficiency improvement at best. You may as well get a higher

TotalDbag 2 Builds 0 points 29 months ago

But a higher efficiency usually means the psu is of higher quality. And considering the PSU can kill EVERYTHING in your computer you really should get the higher quality one over the worse quality one. To the original question though, the cooler master 212 evo will perform only slightly worse than the AIO. AIO's are pretty poor when it comes to cooling performance, because in order to stay within a reasonable price to compete with high end air coolers they need to cheap out somewhere. If they cheap out on the pump, then it will break, if they cheap out on the block it will leak, so that leaves only the radiator. Really you won't get a huge thermal jump until you do a custom waterloop, which for most people is completely unnecessary and overkill.

WEEEEE 1 point 29 months ago

Well I forgot to finish the sentence of my last comment, but I was going to say just get a higher efficiency unit, as opposed to higher wattage one. I agree with your point, AIO's aren't worth it, especially when low cost air coolers like the Hyper 212 Evo/X and the Cryorig H7 exist, which offer similar acoustic and thermal performance to $80-100 AIO's for only $30-40 (though the H7 seems to be outrageously expensive right now).

WolfMonster 1 point 29 months ago

I'd grab an H7 long before I'd grab the 212 EVO myself. It's just too bad that there is price gouging going on with it while stocks are depleted.

ten8yp 5 Builds 1 point 28 months ago

I'm inclined to disagree about AIO's. ANY watercooler is far superior to air cooling. To me, 240mm is the size I would stay at due to the performance to price ratio. For instance, some 240mm AIO water coolers cost between $70-$150 and are definitely worth the cost difference compared to most 120mm AIO's which range from $60-$100. I have personally used Silverstone TD-02lite and Deepcool Captain AIO watercoolers (both less than $100 for 240mm versions) and have gotten MUCH better performance from them than I have any of the air coolers I own.

If you are overclocking, the temperature of your CPU is of utmost importance so you dont want to skimp on cooling or power. If you can live with stock clocks then sure feel free to grab a 500-600 watt bronze PSU and Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo (or similar) air cooler. They will do a great job but I wouldn't overclock with them personally.

TotalDbag 2 Builds 1 point 28 months ago

Do some research please. Air coolers like Noctua's NH-D14, or phanteks ph tc14pe is superior to the performance of 120mm and quite a few 240mm AIO's. And don't dis the hyper 212 evo. There is a reason it is the most popular cooler bar none. I was able to overclock an AMD 6300 to 4.6ghz at 1.4v, another AMD 6300 to 4.4ghz at 1.4v and an Intel 6600k to 4.5ghz at 1.420v with quite a bit thermal headroom to spare.

ten8yp 5 Builds 1 point 28 months ago

I'm sure there are some air coolers that give equal or greater cooling than some AIO's. But they cost the same or more than some AIO's and are contingent on proper (expensive-especially noctua's) fans and airflow. -I didn't mean to "dis" the Hyper 212 evo at all. I actually own and use one myself and it does a great job particularly for the cost. I was merely trying to suggest that a better cooler would be a good step in this build. -congrats on your overclocks

[comment deleted]