• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Comments (Continued)

HikingMike 3 Builds 1 point 10 days ago

Ok, good to know and understood. So you can have a AC wifi which should be the fastest. But you never know. 2.4GHz is a lower frequency/longer wavelength so it can go through walls better.

I haven't checked any reviews really but I would give TP-Link a try again - the AC1900 and AC1300 look like they would be good. https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5519_Archer-T9E.html

Kupkake 1 point 9 days ago

After doing some light research (and staring at the inside of my case) It looks like the only PCIe slot on my build is covered by the video card. The other slot is too low for my video card. There is a single PCI slot left at the bottom I may be able to populate. Any alternatives?

On another note, exactly how "bad" is a USB adapter to begin with? I have plenty of unused USB ports if that would make an OK alternative.

Also I'm assuming I can't use the PCIe adapter for my PCI slot from what I read.

Update: I misread the slot label, it's a "PCIeX4" slot. I don't know if that makes a difference. Are they compatible with the card you suggested me? I'm still learning about PCs on my end, I'll continue to research them myself.

I think I should also mention that my motherboard was from a previous version of this build. It was original the "Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4". The slot at the "bottom" is all I can use, my video card is hogging up the "top two".

Update (again): After some personal research, I believe that PCIe X4 slots are compatible with other X4 or lower cards such as X1. The adapter you recommended looks like an X1 card, but I'm not sure (it doesn't seem to state what kind on the page anywhere). From what I read online, smaller cards can fit into larger slots but they may be "loose" since they don't click in. I was thinking maybe since I'm screwing it into the case anyway, would that be enough to help keep it stable?

HikingMike 3 Builds 1 point 8 days ago

Yes, you got it, nice job checking. That makes sense you only have one extra slot in a MicroATX build with a 2-slot height video card. It should be compatible. Generally wireless PCIe cards don't really need that much bandwidth (relatively... compared to video cards for example... network communication is much less) so they don't have to be X4 and such. They will work, they just won't plug into the whole length of the slot, meaning not all the wires/contacts are used. All the PCIe slots are like that to my knowledge.

As for USB adapters, I'm not really sure how bad. They will work, and work fine generally. But they probably won't have as good of range and speed. Just a rough idea there, sorry.