add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey so I used cpu temps and hwmonitor and my cpu temps were around 30-55 idle and while under a stress test of 100% load it was around 70 degrees. While trying to game they would be around 45-60 with an apparent max of 67. I also tried your screwdriver trick and while it powered on the issue still occurred.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay so I may have wasted your time, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but I'm almost certain its your power supply. If a power supply is overheating then it will kill power to your computer to protect itself, its like CPU throttling except instead of dialing it back it just takes a massive dump. If this is a cooling related issue like I think it is, try just putting a case fan on top of the power supply, blowing air down into it and out of the case. leave it there and see if you still have the problem. If it goes away, then you're looking at a faulty PSU fan and you COULD replace it yourself by taking off the PSU casing and just popping in another fan, but as I'm sure you know, working inside a power supply can be extremely dangerous and you need to be very careful not to touch any actual components of it. Just get in, replace the fan, and get out. If you don't want to take that risk then just buy a new power supply. But before you do anything, put that case fan just on top of the power supply to cool the inside and take it for a spin.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps some sort of ram issue could cause this too. Look up some ram tests, you can download some online.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I don't think it's RAM is because the system functions fine for a set amount of time and that amount of time goes down the more demanding task hes doing. Things like games use more voltage to feed parts from the PSU which would obviously make it heat up faster and, you guessed it, shut off quicker. Still check RAM though, cant hurt

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips, once I get home ill try putting on a case fan on top of the power supply and test it out to see if the issue occurs. I'll also try to check out the ram just to 100% rule it out or in for being an issue. Would the windows memory diagnostic tool be enough to check it out or should I download one online?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I've never used the windows tool so I cant speak for how reliable or accurate it is, if you find a good one online id use that over the windows one.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright so ill go ahead and use this one I found titled memtest86 seen lots of good things about it on other forums. I also found this software https://www.ocbase.com/ which apparently is a good testing tool for CPU,GPU, and power supply. I'll possibly also use this and test them and see if any of the testings causes my computer to shut off or how fast it does until it shuts off. I'll keep you updated when I get home on the power supply issue with the fan and trying out my case fan with it. Thanks for the advice, you have been a great help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube