add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 12 days ago
  • 3 points

I just snooped around your profile, you have 21 builds, the ones I did click on were all really good rigs as well. I swear I built an i7-7700K just like yours and that was a great processor in its day. Heck I think it probably still holds it's own today particularly when you crank the clock up. I got mine to 5.3GHz and while it could heat up the room there was nothing better than it for gaming until very recently. I am still debating whether to buy it again - for old times sake. Then I see the used prices on eBay and decide it is folly :(. Anyway you build some awesome stuff there. 21 rigs! I am hugely impressed. I am pretty sure I spied a circa 2012 AMD build there as well.

I had someone wrapped package paper over a used AM4 B350M motherboard that had thermal compound around the CPU socket. Still was the original box (with some smear thermal compound inside it...?

Motherboards are surprisingly resilient. I have had plenty used and abused and still working. Damaged pins? No problem set them back. Even PCIe slots where GPU's have been ripped out, bare tracks exposed, are fixable. I no longer worry about handling motherboards but GPU's on the other hand still make me sweat -dismantling the GPU heatsink to move into a waterblock is something that always makes me nervous.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

Anyway you build some awesome stuff there. 21 rigs! I am hugely impressed. I am pretty sure I spied a circa 2012 AMD build there as well.

Thanks! Well I had no 2012 AMD build unfortunately. Just the era of the processor I believe, but yea had some AMD builds like 2014~2015.

Motherboards are surprisingly resilient. I have had plenty used and abused and still working.

Yes. I do know this. But I'm like an Adrian Monk sometimes, so if something is out of place or could have done better then that unfortunate perfectionist side kicks in and along with some squealing of disapproval moments. I agree most of our hardware is more durable then what it used to be. Still I rather see someone make some effort to take care of shipping process. A piece of hardware can only take so much punishment, electrical and physical. Though thankfully it's not too common either to find a broken part (yet).

DOA sure I had a couple of those so bound to happen sometimes. But I get what you're saying. And same here with some rough up MOBOs. I care more that they work anyway. * looks at some krazy glue *

Damaged pins? No problem set them back. Even PCIe slots where GPU's have been ripped out, bare tracks exposed, are fixable.

Yes, thankfully those are easier to fix.

I no longer worry about handling motherboards but GPU's on the other hand still make me sweat -dismantling the GPU heatsink to move into a waterblock is something that always makes me nervous.

That's good. :) And oh, I can only imagine about the waterblock process. I can pull a GPU apart but I be doing major baby steps if it was a waterblock. So I cannot fault anyone being nervous about it.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

I agree most of our hardware is more durable then what it used to be.

Absolutely, spoken by someone who has been in this hobby for a while. When did you start building? I built my first rig in 99, an old Pentium 3 with Voodoo 3 graphics card, installed Windows 98. Back then troubleshooting did not come with a plethora of information on the Internet.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

Absolutely, spoken by someone who has been in this hobby for a while. When did you start building?

Year 2014. I wish I had done it sooner though... potential at 2005. I didn't believe I was smart enough to work on computers at the time. Plus no one in my family were tech gurus (doctor and business orientated) so everything was slowly self taught. I am a late bloomer.

Sorry I had some typos here and there.

I built my first rig in 99, an old Pentium 3 with Voodoo 3 graphics card, installed Windows 98. Back then troubleshooting did not come with a plethora of information on the Internet.

Meant to say this earlier but that's really cool. Always awesome to know others who have been working on computer hardware for quite some time.

• 11 days ago
  • 2 points

My brother actually started really young. I think he must have been 15 or 16yo when he did his first build. I recollect him playing Mafia on it and was glued to the screen. Back then my PC gaming was Xcom UFO Defense, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, stuff like that...

Plus no one in my family were tech gurus (doctor and business orientated) so everything was slowly self taught.

Good for you. If you have the interest and motivation not much can stop you learning. Mind you after all these years I still only have a limited knowledge of Operating Systems. If Windows has an issue I am not the guy to fix it. If the hardware has an issue I at least stand a chance :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube