add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't know already lutzee from seeing me post I'm not loyal to any brand, I'm loyal to quality / performance. If I can prove a product isn't stacking up to or meeting the quality / performance as they are supposed to. Say XFX is no longer being shipped quality parts and is actually starting to slip and not be "reliable" as it once was. This type of thing is huge to me and very valued. This happened as I mentioned with Corsair infact they tried to keep it from the public and still until today you can call their tech support and some of them still don't know their HX series is no longer OEM'ed by Seasonic and is now OEM CWT. This move was to raise profit because having Seasonic as an OEM is expensive vs using some budget OEM. When I found this information out I limited which Corsair PSU's I suggest to clients and educated them on the matter so they can make educated choices in their parts.

This Idea about XFX being built with lower quality / lower binned Seasonic parts would be equally important to know if it is actually something verifiable such as the Corsair information. So is this your personal theory or did the store tell you this about XFX using lower bin Seasonic parts? I'm honestly very curious about digging further into the actual quality of the OEM parts being used into XFX power supplies.

This actually goes the opposite for me too, if I can prove a once garbage brand is actually performing and has raised their quality so it has less problems then it did previously I'd be all over testing it and putting it out there with any consultation build I do. Such as OCZ's Vertex 4 - so far is the only OCZ SSD I recommend because I believe its quality and reliable. I keep my eyes open for product changes and like your statement just in case ;) we know things change in this industry really fast so if you have more information on this matter please inform us.

Most gamers actually don't have a clue what they know about computer parts just what they "think" they need. They usually just go for the highest priced thing and have no clue if its actually benefiting their performance like SLI GTX 680s with a single 1080p 60hz monitor. :P

You said something which is indicates how most of the consumer base works with budget products:

"the lower tier if they break i'd be trashing rather than returning to the store"

That right there is one of the main reasons some brands can say they have lower returns vs the higher priced brands. People are more likely to return the high priced item and complain compared to trashing it and just getting another.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Theory why would seasonic give better parts to its competitors?

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I edited that post by the way :P

Because its not competition if they are making it. It is win / win they make money of their sales of their own product line and get paid to make the guts for a lot of other vendors product lines. Giving Lower quality parts could indicate why Corsair dropped them, or corsair dropped them to raise profits by going with an even cheaper OEM.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh god an essay D: Though this discussion is good, I wasn't intending to make XFX look bad or anything. Its good that they get failed parts back so they know where to improve.

Oh hey, vertex 4! I have one of those! I do believe that OCZ are picking up from the criticism. Anyway as for XFX all the store said is that they return more. There are many other factors, eg they also sell more, and the actual ratio to other brands is the same.

Also the lower binned thing I don't mean oh god these are sub par and shouldn't be used, I mean these don't meet seasonics "super strict" quality testing. I may hasten to add I've not actually experienced any PSU failures myself, and I have seen a lot of PCs.

Also being in the UK, our power is often a lot cleaner than over in the US. I find it quite odd when it comes to it, the last time we had a power surge (one of the main reasons I can assume that PSUs fail is the wrong power input), it tripped out main RCD before it even got to the main breakers. Didn't even blow and of the high power halogen bulbs that we have in the kitchen that are prone to blowing when power fluctuates.

I've heard nasty stories of homes in the US receiving power greater than the 110V that is meant to be delivered. Yet here we get a constant 230V supply, and not heard about any dodgy power readings from it.

(I said also too much..) Additional the PSU i have is manufactured by HEC, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html seems to be great for finding the OEM. I see HEC pop up a in a lot of brands, including thermaltake, be quiet. Until this one actually shows problems I will mark it as "fine for normal PC use" though would not recommend it for any constant gaming application. If it completely fries this system, then I get to complain to eclipse and i've also activated the 3 year warranty on it..

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

you said: "I mean these don't meet seasonics "super strict" quality testing."

So to clarify where is this information coming from? Because though I asked it previously I don't think you answered, unless I missed it or wasn't clear when I asked.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

It isn't, maybe I should clarify, I've worked shortly in a large business under the team who runs quality checks. The list of checks companies run on their products is amazing and detailed, I expect a reputable PSU brand to be no less strict with quality testing. These are only assumptions, I would have quoted a source if I had one (in harvard referencing if you so wish (A dig at my university, sorry :P ))

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube