add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

My FX CPU went over 62C on a good few occasions and I had no issues with it. My 6300 had a far higher TDP than my 3770k.

That said, according to AMD themselves, as well as a number of other people, AMD CPUs, specifically the FX ones, don't report their temperature's correctly anyway.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are idle temps that aren't reported correctly, and also the chip normally is fine going over 62C but you are risking your CPU by having it get that hot. The TDP doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as the architecture does. For example, if the 6300 were an Ivy bridge based chip with it's TDP, it would run way hotter than the 3770K. However this is not the case, the FX-6300 is Vishera architecture and doesn't put off nearly the heat that a 3770K does, and it cannot get nearly as hot because anything over 62C is risking the chip.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, just to clarify my numbers: I'm reading the temps off the motherboard sensor not the CPU, the cpu package numbers are way less than the motherboard, and my load numbers are prime95 after 30min, while folding the readings are 43 (motherboard reporting) and 26 (cpu reporting) I'm using both HWMonitor (display both MB numbers and CPU numbers) and Core Temp that display only CPU temps. See here

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you want the CPU temp with Piledriver. Not the package because that reads wrong. And also your legit core temps will be a couple degrees cooler than the socket temps (hwmonitor refers to the socket temp as CPU Temp) so that is why I thought your temps were a little bit too high. It's the core temps that can only safely go up to 62C if your socket temps under 100% load are 49C then your chip is running at the temps I expected it to run at, around 45C.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube