add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

WIN 7 key for WIN 10 upgrade?

GRIZZLY_GUY
  • 58 months ago

I had windows 7 on my computer, then when windows 10 came out, I of course upgraded. I have a new mobo coming and will therefore have to do a clean install of windows. I have windows 10 on a flash drive, so could I just use my windows 7 key to activate win 10, or are the keys OS specific?

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't be able to use the Windows 7 key to install Windows 10. During the upgrade process the Windows 7 key gets converted into a Windows 10 key & the activation is then locked to your system hardware.

Changing the motherboard will almost certainly make your current copy of Windows 10 non-genuine. You may be able to downgrade back to Windows 7 & then upgrade again once you change your motherboard though there's no guarantee.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree with Scotty

I tried to type a windows 7 key into windows 10 with no joy, after contacting microsoft they said i would have to install 7 and then go through the upgrade process again

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

ok well that's fine, jut gonna take a little longer to upgrade back to 10

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube