add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 Free... Until you change any hardware??

Figsak
  • 58 months ago

I've just heard it eluded to in a PC gaming podcast, that this free Windows version is voided as soon as you change ANY hardware in your PC.

It was stated (via hearsay) that this guy's friend changed out his RAM, his OS failed to run to at startup, and when he called Microsoft support, he was told that if you change ANY of your hardware, you'll need to purchase a new version of Windows 10 at full price.

This can't be right. Please tell me this is BS.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

BS, probably a toll free number to call so you get your key activated with hardware change.

Take it back, you wont have to call, Microsoft will have so much information about you that they expect the hardware change because of your buying habits.

Not much privacy with windows 10 :(

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like something they'd do... But you might be able to work around that by calling MS support and explaining the situation.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

According to this story, that's what this friend tried to do. They told him to fly a kite. And while he was out there flying that kite, to buy a new version of Windows 10.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Without knowing both sides in more detail, it's hard to say if he did it the right way or if the call center person was good. For all I know, he could have been swearing them out and the worker was an hour from retirement.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

just fitted an SSD to replace Hdd in OEM version without issue. clean install completed windows activated and everything working.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... Guess it's something to do with the "update" version instead of the clean install version. That seems about right...

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

just to clarify i did update first you have to then you can do a clean install bit of a faff but finished now ;-)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest I don't think the OS can even tell what RAM you are using. If I turned my speed from 1600 to 1333, the OS would have no way of knowing whether I underclocked my RAM or replaced it with different RAM. My guess is that the serial is still tied to the mobo like it always has been.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

oh it knows it knows everything.... it watches you sleep don't ever under estimate your OS!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

My understanding is the license is permanently tied to the motherboard signature. So you can upgrade everything else, even replace the motherboard with the same model and use the same license. The OEM version is much cheaper than retail as it is supposed to be only used on a single system. Not this computer this year, then another (completely different) computer in 4 years when you upgrade. See what I mean?

So, long story short, you are supposed to be able to change every little bit except the motherboard. At first I was a little upset, then I was like, oh well, there is always Linux for a 4 year old computer that is a bit long in the tooth.

This covers the grandfathers ax scenario for them....You know "This is my grandfathers ax, replaced the handle 4 times and the head 3 times...."

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube