add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What PSU do i need for OCing?

ShreddedPotato
  • 56 months ago

Hi guys

I'm planning on buying an i5 4690k and an R9 390. Will a bronze PSU be enough to over clock them or is a Gold one required? Can you please recommend me a PSU if possible? Right now I'm planning to go for a CSM 650w gold modular PSU but people are saying that there is potential for coil whine with that PSU. Thanks

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

bronze/gold has nothing to do with quality or capacity at all. all you need is a good 650 watt for the task, like the XFX TS650. the csm is one of the worst choices for a 650 watt, for it's cost in most places and for this build. think of it as an efficient but average 550 watt rather than a good 650 watt.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so bronze/gold us how efficiently the PSU can draw power from the wall?

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

yes. the higher the efficiency the less power needs to be wasted in the AC to DC conversion.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

And is it true that the Corsair CX series is bad? It's gotten good reviews but people are saying it is really bad for OC.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

it's not bad within reason and on a low budget, but it is certainly not meant for high end gaming systems, from the mouth of the people who designed it, and is not good platform to increase clocks/volts on. that increases power consumption, component stress, heat and so forth. they are rated to 30c operation within spec, some can do well up to 40c like the 430 watt, but the rest can't and above 600 watt they flat out suck. the csm is a very similar quality with the same 30c rating. it has high efficiency, but near load capacity it's performance metrics start to tank.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

So will a seasonic 620w fully modular bronze PSU be good?

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

yes, but that psu is very loud at load. the fan profile is crazy. try the xfx TS/XTR 650 or the S12 gold/G series. they are all the same thing, newer, better seasonic platform in that price range. there is also the fully modular evga 650 GS that is somewhere in between the S12II and G platforms, but very quiet and the 650 G2 that is quite better than the rest. the last one can't be found under $100 though.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube