add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tools required for pc building

Tyrone
  • 80 months ago

What screwdrivers will I have to use. Is it just a Phillips or will I need others? Thanks

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

To add to what everyone else has said, I'd highly recommend that one of your Philips head screwdrivers have a magnetic tip. It won't hurt any components - contrary to the myth out there that they can. But it'll make life much better when trying to put in screws in hard to reach places like back corner motherboard standoff mounts, etc.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

For the most part, you'll only need a phillips (or 2). But I recommend a nut driver too. I find it very convenient. Just a personal preference.

Put it this way, if all you have is a phillips screwdriver, you'll probably be fine.

I have a little toolkit that cost me about $10:

Screwdriver - 1/8" Flat Screwdriver - 3/16" Flat Screwdriver - #0 Phillips Screwdriver - #1 Phillips Screwdriver

Nut Driver - 3/16" Nut Driver - 1/4" Nut Driver

I'll add to that a pair of tweezers. More than once I've dropped a screw into a case and had to dig it out. Maybe I'm just clumsy like that.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Phillips screw driver and your hands. Done.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing I found extremely helpful was my Petzl headlamp.

I also used a pair of needle nose pliers to gently unplug one of the case fans from the motherboard after I decided I wanted to plug it in a different place.

A small box cutter is nice for opening all those boxes.

A camera for taking pictures to show off your work.

Finally, a glass of scotch on the rocks to calm the nerves.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Could always have an anti static wrist band if you wanna be really safe

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube