add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Airflow planning help with the Fractal R5 case (planning to buy top air filter, instead of using moduvents)

fullmetalmage

52 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much decided on using the R5 for my first build case. It has everything I want in a case, and only small nitpicky things that I can live with (optical drives not uniform, no top dust filter, which I can buy separately).

Note please: I am NOT fretting about a little noise. As long as it isn't too loud, I'm fine. I'd rather have a lot easier time managing dust/minimizing it, and cleaning, as I need to begin better cleaning habits for my electronics for increased lifespans

I had a bit of motivation today to plan out the airflow for my build, but recently I've been confused after watching videos on positive/negative/balanced airflow, and which orientation to mount fans on a radiator (I'll be utilizing an H100i on an i5-4690k). One video says that pull is better for less dust buildup, another says push-pull is best, and another says push is best.

Pull

Push

Push-pull

Generally, I seem to be on the mindset that, if the difference in temperatures is almost 1 degree Celcius/negligible, then I'd want to put the two fans on the H100i on the bottom, farthest away from the top of the actual case, so they are visible in the window, fit in with my theme I'm planning with the color rings, and general aesthetics.

I'd like some discussion on this attached picture, which outlines my planning at the moment and general mental image: Outline

On that image, I pose 3 concerns:

1. Balanced, or positive airflow? Which do you find better?

2. What fan configuration would you set up with the H100i on the top side? Push, pull, or push-pull?

3. Assuming I do end up configuring the fans as pushing through the radiator through the top side, do they count as exhaust for a balanced setup? >or should I add more airflow fans? Maybe one on the bottom as exhaust as well due to the bottom having some elevation off the table by the case >feet?

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube