add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ThreeScoops
  • 58 months ago

This is kind of a dumb question, but how can stores like NCIXUS offer copies of windows 10 for less than the price that windows themselves offer it at $100? I get that it's not a dramatic reduction, but it makes me a bit curious.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 3 points

Loss Leader tactic most likely. Not really effective in online purchases, but perhaps they're hedging on the whole "people don't want their info on several sites" to get people to buy some of their more expensive stuff.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Pretty sure the keys are OEM and not retail. I do know that OEM is supposed to be for system builders and can be only activated or linked on one computer/motherboard. Retail can be activated or linked up to three computers and has tech support in contrast.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay makes sense, just making sure they weren't pirated copies or anything. When you say "up to three computers" how does it know that, does it just access the hard drive? So if you were to put an old boot drive in a new computer you wouldn't need to reinstall it right?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems legit, one last thing, why do people who do those dual OS builds, like linux and windows, (not that I'm into that) always put the OS's on different drives? Is there some terrible thing that would happen if you put more than one OS on one drive?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

They buy keys in bulk and get a discount from MS for doing so. You would only pay MS $70 or $80 per key if you purchased 50k of them at a time too....

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube