add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Running two simultaneous programs on different monitors in Windows 7/8/10

dennisl
  • 58 months ago

I may be in the wrong forum.

I want to run simultaneous programs on another monitor besides the laptop and haven't found the answer so I will say exactly what I want to do.

I can switch monitor from my laptop to hdmi, vga, whatever no problems. Use extend, duplicate and whatever to another monitor. But, I want to use my laptop to web search on my laptop screen at the same time as I am watching something on my TV off of my HDMI output. I watch Netflix and Hulu while connected to my TV on the HDMI port through the internet. My external DVD player has Netflix and wireless for example but it will not update or show subtitles on either Netflix or Hulu, but connection thru the internet works fine on Captions. I am hard of hearing so need this.

I don't mind purchasing software that will do this. Anyone know of a program that will allow me to do this? I seem to only be able to switch back and forth between monitors, not individual simultaneous programs independent of each other on both monitors. Any help appreciated

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an idea of what you mean, but I need some clarifications.

So, you have a laptop, a TV and TV-based DVD player (as in, not an optical drive like a normal computer). The TV is hooked up to the Laptop via an HDMI cable and is also hooked up to the DVD player (somehow). Right?

And when you watch stuff on the TV when it's coming through the internet from the laptop via HDMI, captions are shown, but when using the DVD player, they are not. Correct so far?

As for the question: You want the DVD player to show captions or to be able to have the video played from the laptop while doing other stuff on the laptop.

If so, I would think that the Captions option is turned off on the DVD player and/or the TV and that there's some on-screen menus you need to go through to find out how to turn it on.
As for the video on the TV and the laptop screen on the web, I'm not too sure why this is not working. I mean, I'm probably doing the same thing right now; one monitor is playing a video and I'm posting this... When you play the video on the TV, can you see the mouse on the TV and can you bring the mouse to the laptop's screen?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

At the present time the external DVD Bluray Player is not hooked up to anything. The external player cannot display subtitles through Netflix. Netflix is incorporated in the DVD Wireless Blueray Player, however, I researched this heavily and many of the older DVD BluRay Players do not have the version of Netflix Software that lets you display subtitles through the Player. What is the story is that the options box won't show up on Netflix when you use the external player. I tried upgrading the Software and Firmware through Philips website but the software upgrade doesn't complete even though you can do the upgrade by USB or by DVD. As a matter of fact you can actually upgrade the software from the DVD external menu and it will download. But it doesn't complete. I went to the Phiips website and downloaded with no success. If you search this thru Google you will find many people had the same problem with displaying subs through netflix by their external players. Regardless of the subtitle button on the DVD Player, the version of netflix software has to have the options box for audio. Even earlier versions of Netflix on the internet did not display subtitle option box. Now the web streaming does. Only other option is buy another external player. But, you can run many applications at the same time on windows. There must be someway to run an application selected to play through to separate monitor selections. I think. Or at least a software.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

There must be someway to run an application selected to play through to separate monitor selections

You have the TV hooked up to the laptop, right?

When selecting the "extend, duplicate..." choose Extend.

When running Netflix or whatever program, drag it to the other monitor. That should allow it to play there while leaving the laptop screen available for use.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

ok how do i drag it to the other monitor. In extend the tv desktop is blank

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Grab the window by the top bar (should be blue or some other color, with the Minimize, resize and close buttons on the right) and drag that over. If you drag it to the top edge of the monitor/TV, it should show a blue box covering that screen which indicates that when you release the mouse, it will take up the full screen.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the confusion. In extend the laptop just shows the desktop nothing else. The hdmi output is showing the desktop with all the icons. I have two websites open in google. This website andanother

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, maybe it is my hardware. when i select pc screen, I get exactly that. when i select duplicate, i get that. But when i select second screen it shows both just the same as duplicate. Also, i show 1/2 in monitors but not 1 or 2. The icons do not show 1 and 2. so, even thiough i get hdmi output to the tv windows itself doesn't show 2 monitors. that is probably the problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube