add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Uninterrupted power supply...

ManImCool
  • 56 months ago

Question, since I'm in the market for a UPS for a new build I'm working on. To go along with my i7-5820k which will be moderately overclocked, my PSU is a EVGA 1050 GS. My GPU is currently a EVGA GTX 980 SC 2.0.

I bought such a powerful PSUbecause eventually I will SLI 2 GPUs (not necessarily the 980, but more likely 2 of the next gen cards when they come out next year), in addition to overclocking the 5820k.

Meanwhile, using the pcpartpicker tool, it shows my current tentative setup (without OCing the CPU) at 433W. If I add a second GPU, it jumps up to 598W.

My question is, is how powerful of a UPS do I need to feel safe and secure? If I type in "1050 UPS" into amazon, the first unit is at $350. WAY too rich for my blood, hoping to get it in the $100 - $150 range. Will something like this 900W linked below (on sale today) be likely enough for my tastes? This is just for a personal gaming computer with occasional non-professional 4k video editing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=8050981&SID=30d305f5b9764a99ae565878e516a48f&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16842102134&cm_sp=

Or maybe this

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_1?tag=hotoge-20

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

gamer builds really dont work well on normal consumer UPS systems.... those cheap ones are meant for basic home and business PCs... your monster needs more high end UPS solutions.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Any suggestions? Does it need to be of the pure sinewave variety like the newegg one I linked? I really don't know what I'm getting myself into. For what it's worth, this computer will not be on 24/7.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't bought one yet, but this is a good article on choosing one for your system. http://www.howtogeek.com/161479/how-to-select-a-battery-backup-for-your-computer/

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

without paying rediculous prices, what you chose is about as good as it gets.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I would disagree here with Elvenson. I have that exact Cyberpower model, and it has worked flawlessly for the past 8 month's that I've had it. I live in an area where we get Thunderstorms and power outages (albeit briefly) 2-4 times a year, including brownouts (which is what killed my last gaming rig).

Since Jan 2015, it has gone through 2 brownouts and 1 power outage without fail. What happens is the computer keeps chugging along, and the monitor dims slightly and the UPS starts beeping, to complain that it actually has to start working ;) With a fully loaded i5 gaming rig and a 25.5" monitor, it has an easy 40+ min of time left on it. So much so, that I've started including other less power intensive peripherals to latch on to the UPS and all said, I'm still at only about 20% load.

I test it probably every 45 - 60 days where I'll simply unplug it from the wall and see what happens. Been rock solid so far, and I have zero hesitations recommending it. 10/10 would buy again. (Research indicates that battery replacement is going to be in the 2yr - 3.5yr point, and where I live, that will be less than $50 to replace the batteries.)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

You didnt really disagree with me. My words were just a bit too vague... I didnt mean the ones he posted were crap, just that heapo ones like the $50 APC units and others found at stores are typically not a good fit for a game rig with high wattage... the ones he linked are not exactly cheap. One retails well over $200 usually. Those 2 he posted are pretty much the entry point for what a gamer rig should have... and it gets super expensive from there...

find the results from the APC calculator showing recomendations for 5 minutes power at 600w. It gives an idea what to look for in other units as far as specs go. the 2 the OP posted are right around the middle between the low and mid tier units shown here and are a great value for what they are. http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/US/en/home/load

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't like CyberPower. I find that they die way too easily. I recommend APC or something like Tripplite. What you're looking for is the V/A rating which allows for the machine to stay on battery power. Look at what your PC draws inc monitor and buy accordingly. The bigger and beefier the system the more likely you'll have enough connections to protect everything. Do NOT plug in a laser printer to a ups. Also when looking at any particular model/brand find out the ease in replacing the battery. Most of the good brands have easy replacement and also a battery recycling program.

BTW. $350 is way too much money. I'd look at $200 max and also look for refurbs in your area. It can be a great way to get a deal.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I am bumping an old thread, but I have a new question. With my above setup and power supply, how important or not important is it to get a pure sinewave UPS like the CP1500PFCLCD? Or can I get by with the cheaper simulated sinewave CP1500AVRLCD?

Not sure if this matters but in my area (San Francisco Bay Area), I don't ever recall experiencing a brownout, and complete power outages are usually pretty rare as well. Complete blackouts are usually the result of a rare storm knocking a tree into a power line.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

it's not important at all to get a pure sine wave UPS. stepped causes no harm or inconvenience with modern switching power supplies. I've been using a stepped APC for three years(?) without issues.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming the above-mentioned EVGA power supply I have is a modern switching power supply? You're confident I am not going to ruin my rig or components with the cheaper CP1500AVRLCD?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the 1050GS is a modern psu. I'm more confident in APC than CyberPower, but that's only because I've mostly used those.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've definitely read more than once people recommending APC over CyberPower. What would be the APC equivalent of the Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD?

APC BX1500G? BR1500G? I'm not entirely sure on the difference between the two but on Staples the BX is cheaper but on amazon the BR is significantly cheaper.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the BR1500G will do. the BX is discontinued.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube