add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Antec earthwatts 650w or Thermaltake toughpower 750w?

Droidriven
  • 55 months ago

I'm about to put an LGA775 rig together modded to use LGA771 Xeon X5460 or X5470 quad core CPU. I have a thermaltake 750w and an Antec earthwatts 650w. The Antec is supposed to have three 12v rails but I don't know about the Thermaltake.

I'll be putting two systems together with one going to my friend. I will be going for extreme overclocking with virtually no gaming on the one I keep and the friends wife will at some point probably be gaming on the one I give him.

Which power supply would serve which rig the best. I'm not sure which PSU is better or more reliable or which system will need the best of two PSUs considering that one will be extreme OC and the other may be hardcore gaming.

I need reliable info and opinions on this choice, I don't want either rig to experience power problems.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

i personaly like Antec PSU's over thermaltakes..

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The Thermaltake ended up having bad modular cable connectors on the sata and periferal outputs. It has been replaced with a rosewill 750w, I don't know what results will be, the Antec 650 works like a charm, very efficient.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Both are under the same category of tier 2a PSU. So you can choose any one of them.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've received a Rosewill extreme 750w as a replacement for the Thermaltake 750w. Its not modular but that's fine, I'll just roll up the unused cables and tuck them somewhere that isn't too unsightly in my case.

On a side note, the Rosewill has an atx12v/eps12v 4+4 pin and an eps12v 8pin cable. I'm assuming I use the 4+4 plug for the CPU connector instead of the 8pin?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube