add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using an old gateway computer case to build a new one

Djb7777

52 months ago

Gateway Desktop PC SX2185-UR21

is the computer id be using to build a new one, ive never built a computer before and I was wondering if it was possible to use this case with the cd drive it already has in it

I was looking to replace the cpu, motherboard, graphics, and hard disk

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, you would need a new psu and I doubt you can buy one that will fit and will provide enough wattage for a decent gpu.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like you could. Take a close picture of the motherboard (maybe measure it) & post it here to make sure it's a mini-ITX form factor (motherboard standoff holes location). You'll be limited with the kind of video card you can put in it though as you have to use a low profile bracket for it (GTX 750 TI maybe). The PSU is proprietary too but as long as its working it should be O.K., if not you can always google for a replacement PSU for sale maybe at ebay if you can't get it from Gateway (higher wattage if available). I bought a very similar small form factor PC (Acer) for my kids years ago & had a hard time looking for a faster video card that can be fitted with a low profile bracket.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll definitely do that Thanks for the info

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube