add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case Experience if you have one

funkyboer

52 months ago

Looking at the Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case for my build, like it because it's rated as being quiet(er) Does anybody own one?

My build Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

I don't recommend it. this case is the 500R carbide with a solid exterior and noise cancelling. the Define series R4 and R5 are both better and more flexible. as is the Define S and H440. I've had a 500R for three years, and H440 and have done builds in the R5, R4 a 550D. corsair's only truly strong offerings are the 730T, 750D, 760T. they are solid in the cheapo segment with their spec series and 200R. the rest of their offerings, especially the 2011-2013 carbide series (excluding the 200R) is pricey for what they offer and beat by other cases in their respective price ranges. the HDD cages also scratch up when sliding them in and out and the plastic on the caddies is brittle and easy to break. I only broke one with my case, but many people were breaking them with the carbide series and the 750D.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the awesome reply. the main reason I was drawn to the corsair was looks, noise reduction and the usb's on the front. The Define R4/R5 checks those boxes.

Can you see a problem with placing the define horizontal? (on it's side)

I don't see much difference between R4/R5 , cost aside, any preference?

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

yea, most people are choosing cases mainly or only on looks, but they have to function well for the money you spend. the case on it's side isn't an issue itself, just have to make sure the parts inside are secured. the R5 is alot more flexible than the R4, basically it's the new and improved version at the same price.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Corsair makes solid cases. Corsair 550D should be fine. Only thing I don't like with the case is the drive cages (optical/HHD). It's too many but if you're still into this is a good case.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree on the HHD cases, I wont even use one, as It's all SSD no optical. I was just wondering why you don't see as many on builds, my guess was price...

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

You're right on that. The price seems high but its a good case. Also if you go full water cooling on it you have to destroy the optical drive bay to add more radiator. Without modding it's not as highly configurable as the more popular Corsair Obsidian series of cases. I would go with Corsair Obsidian 450D for a mid tower case.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-450d-mid-tower-pc-case

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Liking the define R5. Because of the SSD spots. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube