add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I am upgrading my lenovo

I6IGhostI9I
  • 55 months ago

I purchased a lenovo k450e, and i am upgrading the original video card from a msi geforce gt 720 to a msi geforce 970 gtx. Ii am also replacing the psu as it only comes with a 250 or a 280w unit. My question is if i upgrade to a big psu (850w+) will it blow out components?

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It shouldn't, though there's always a chance you just get a defective unit. (really really small chance with a good quality unit)

The main question is, why +850w? GTX 970 is recommended 550w, with some of the more power hungry cards going up to 650w recommended, so that's a solid 200w over that...

Oh, and there's also a chance that the case mount for the PSU is custom designed by Lenovo or whoever to not accept standard PSUs, so measure that before you buy one.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I am also upgrading and getting a different case as well. The case i am getting comes with 5 120mm fans and a fan controller. Could you recommend a good psu for me. This is my first time doing anything to a computer. Granted i have switched stock cpus and video cards out in the past but this is the first time upgrading on any level.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now i don't plan on upgrading the cpu that came with it (Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz) for a while a month or so at least.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube