add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to get Windows 8.1 for free if you have a .edu adress

Chan13
  • 57 months ago

You can download Windows 8.1 Industry Pro for free from Microsoft dreamspark. It's basically the same thing as Windows 8.1 but has some other fancy buttons and such.

First you sign up for Microsoft (or log in if you have a account). Then you go to the dreamspark page and confirm you have a .edu address and download Windows 8.1 from the software catalog.

Unfortunately for the first timers like me you have to download it to a usb and I know it was a challenge for me.

I hope this can really help some people save $80+ dollars on their rig and buy that step up gpu or take your loved ones on a fancy dinner!

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know if you can then go on to upgrade this version to windows 10?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have a source, but the answer is yes. Every version of Win7, Win8, & Win8.1 is eligible for the upgrade.

• 57 months ago
  • 0 points

i used dreamspark. it downloads in .ISO format. if your desktop or laptop had a dvd drive that can write dvd's too, then just burn the ISO to a cd. otherwise use a utility that converts ISO to a bootable USB drive. been doing this for years. works great.

• 57 months ago
  • 0 points

Don't get Windows 8.1 if you want a good OS for free try using Arch Linux Or ubuntu

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube