add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 to 10, 32 bit to 64 bit

IG007PL
  • 57 months ago

Hi, I am about to upgrade my pc to Win 10 and I was wondering if I could get Win 10 in 64 bit since I have a Win 7 32bit version currently running. And how could I check if my hardware is compatible.

Also what are the main advantages of 64 bit.

Thanks !

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The simple answer is no, if you have 32bit version of Win 7 you'll only be offered or allowed to get Win 10 in 32bit.

I know because I have an old laptop that i tried to upgrade to to 64bit Windows 10 and it said I could only get the 32bit version

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

64 bit allows you to use more RAM and other things. More than 4gb if I'm not mistaken. 32 bit has major limits like 4 or less gb of RAM.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see why not.

EDIT:
TL;DR - Upgrade to Windows 10, 32-bit FIRST. Then, complete a fresh install of Windows 10, 64-bit.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

By fresh install you mean to go buy a Win 10 disc for like a $100 and install it or is there another way ?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

No need to buy it. If you already have Win7 or Win8/8.1, you won't need to purchase.

For a fresh install, download the Windows Media Creation Tool and create a 64-bit installation .iso. Just remember, update first and then do a fresh install.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube