add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The value of pre-planning

ThreeScoops

51 months ago

Well crumbs. I decided on the phanteks enthoo pro full tower ATX, but before my order date, I decided to measure the space I have to work with. 24 inches high, 14 inches wide, and 23 inches deep. How big is the enthoo pro? 21 inches high, 9.25 inches wide and 22 inches deep. But threescoops, I hear you saying, that's enough space to fit it. Well yes in theory, but add a belkin surge protector like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107196 and 2 inches less space for the plug sticking out of the outlet and various cable management, equals: not enough space. Long story short, I goofed, I wanted a full tower because I thought it would give me plenty of room to work with considering I'm a first time builder. However, it looks like I'll need a mid tower for this one. What do you guys recommend, and it would need to be compatible with this build: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $138.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $85.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.39 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.50 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card $329.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $129.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $17.10 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.75 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $90.00 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.91 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.91 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $132.98 @ Best Buy
Keyboard Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $44.99 @ Newegg
Headphones Logitech G430 7.1 Channel Headset $56.49 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers $29.61 @ SuperBiiz
Other Xbox 360 Controller $33.71
Other Surge Protector $19.99
Other Anti-static strap $5.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1751.15
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1711.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 00:57 EDT-0400

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The Fractal Design S if you don't need a optical drive, it should be small enough.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I do need an optical drive for my OS. Plus I still futility cling to the hope that there's still a place in this world for physical media.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

You could just leave it outside of the case during installation and later on buy a usb optical drive.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh? Then how would I install the OS? That USB installation process I never understood?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a link in my profile that explains how to do it, if you need help getting a .iso file just tell me and I can give you a link to one.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like a thin surge protector... My thought would be to turn it vertical on the side of the case and plug everything in there.

But, wait, is it an enclosed area? Like a desk's cabinet? What's the airflow situation?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

More like a cubby, it's a long desk that runs the length of the wall with cubby-like storage spaces acting as supports. They're completely open facing the front, but solid wall in the back. The outlet is about 8 inches off the floor of the cubby. The alternative is putting it on the carpet.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... Airflow is going to be an issue in there.

If it's on the carpet, is it also boxed in? Does it have the same size constraints? It may be worth it to buy/source a piece or two of cardboard or tile to put under the case to keep the carpet out.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The only other option is putting it on top of the desk, sawing a small hole connecting the cubby to the desk, (don't worry it's a woden desk) to access the outlet. But on top of the desk I only have 22" of usable space. It would still face a wall, but there would be air in all sides.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... Could you angle it on the desk a bit?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The desk spans the length of the room so yes, my concern is the reach of the cord on that PSU, it would need to reach a little more than three feet which I doubt, the length of the surge protector cord is long enough, but that would look ugly sitting on a desk. I guess it would be a sacrifice I'd have to make. Yes, angling the case, or even making it's long side face the wall is completely possible.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

so... is there a height or a width problem?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Depth primarily, 23" of usable space and a 21" case, I don't think I can cram all of the cable management into two inches of space. Width is also a problem, because I need to fit a powerstrip in there too.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

if it's not a height issue look into the Rosewill rise case. the fractal R5 and define s are short in terms of height, but they are about the same width and depth as the enthoo pro, very close.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair 500R is nice. You'll be shaving around 1 inch on height and width, and 2 inches on depth. Plus it has good airflow (and I like the looks). I would really like to change your mind about the audio, but for an xbox or playstation ,your going to need a headset.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

No trust me, my mind was already changed. Headphones + dedicated mic is almost always better. But what can I say, I'm a utilitarian.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

god, i had to search utilitarian up. thanks alot. IDK, just get a headset for now, and then get some good stuff later for the PC. Have you decided on the case yet?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I've been perusing hardware canucks, but I haven't found anything too promising.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Huge case. I don't think you need one with such set up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube