add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux recommendations

vagabond139
  • 57 months ago

I am looking to use Linux on a old machine, it has 1GB of ram and a Geforce 6100 integrated into the motherboard with a single core amd cpu and I am wondering what would be a light weight and very easy to use, my grandma is going to be using it, Linux distro to use.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Puppy Linux is very light and fast on older hardware.

Might give that a try..

Hope this Helps !!

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Did you try a few flavors of Linux yet ??

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, still haven't got around to it, I still need to buy another hdd.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

I suggest you install virtualbox on your PC, download a few Linux distro images, and try them out yourself. You are in the best position to decide what your grandmother is able to handle. Plus, you can figure out what software to install and make sure it all works correctly. The last thing you want is to get it all set up and them have to make frequent "tech support calls" to work through the issues. Get a straw man setup and use it yourself for a week or so, work the kinks out. Then when you set it up for her you know just how to configure it. Depending on how computer savvy she is you may want to "hide" assorted settings and programs that she could get herself into trouble with.

Lubuntu is a an LXDE Ubuntu spin. My main concern with something like Ubuntu is that its like drinking from the firehose, a newbie may be overwhelmed or break something accidentally. I think you want something polished and locked down.

I personally use Mint. It's fairly polished, and offers an LXDE option. Since it is Ubuntu-derived you have tons of online support and a vast package store.

Zorin looks interesting, since it is designed especially for newbies and tries hard to be a Windows 7 lookalike. It has an LXDE option and is Ubuntu-based. http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin

For a Window Manager I suggest XFCE. It is pretty lightweight, and has fewer settings to mess around with which means you can configure a fairly bulletproof installation that she won't easily break. Gnome and KDE have too many bells and whistles plus they will bog down your old hardware. (And Cinnamon is also heavy since it's a reskinned Gnome3.)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I suggest you install virtualbox on your PC

I never thought of that, wow I feel dumb

Zorin looks interesting, since it is designed especially for newbies and tries hard to be a Windows 7 lookalike.

That looks nice and it looks like it wouldn't confuse her with a very new look.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Xubuntu 14.04 LTS. Or Ubuntu.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Geforce 6100 graphics may not be suported:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/621805/freeze-on-14-04-installation-graphic-issues-with-nouveau-nvidia-geforce-6100

it appears in some cases the nouveau driver tries to use 3D hardware acceleration when it can't and crashes. Which being a kernel module has the ability to crash the entire system

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter

nouveau.noaccel=1

I'll elaborate tomorrow

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say I can pick up a cheap gpu to fix that issue but the expansion slot is riveted in

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

the expansion slot is riveted in

Its a Dell isn't it?

Even if the bug is there (which it may not be) it looks like you can avoid it by not runing 3D accelerated programs until you get the proprietary Nvidia drivers installed. iirc the Unity desktop, the Cinnamon desktop, and the Gnome desktop all use 3D acceleration but those are too heavy anyway.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a Dell isn't it?

Emachine that I don't understand how its lasted this long, I might attempt to cut or pull it out

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Let us know how it goes/went.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I still haven't done it, im going to look for a cheap hdd on ebay, I should be able to do it within the next two weeks or so.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Distrowatch is a great resource for all things Linux: Distrowatch

My recommendation is also Puppy Linux, or Puppy Linux based variations such as Simplicity Linux.

Here is a general search for Old Computer

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I've toyed around with a fair amount of Linux distros and use Manjaro as my "daily driver" OS.

I'd recommend Lubuntu or Puppy Linux. If your grandma has used Windows XP, Lubuntu might be a bit more familiar. Puppy Linux is incredibly light-weight, (we're talking like 400MHz with 256 MB memory should be fine) so something that is a bit more demanding might offer a better user experience.

Assuming your CPU is in the 1+GHz range, it's not actually that slow of a computer for (most) Linux distros. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, etc. should run reasonably well. The 6100 is definitely the weak link, driver support will probably be iffy.

Good luck.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

UBUNTUUUUUUUU

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Get Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, still supported. used it on an very old computer with Anthlon 64 3600+ and NVIDIA nForce and it works fine.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I might suggest Lubuntu. ubuntu with unity won't work well with old a gpu and only 1 GB of ram.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine with an old GPU and 1 GB of ram. It's the rest of the system that I'd be worried about.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

check out ROboLinux

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Kubuntu with KDE Plasma 5 is great, super easy and even a grandmother could use it without issue.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube