add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The Corsair Graphite 780T, need advice

RDE

51 months ago

So I think I've got my build sorted and chose the parts I think are best for me but still have a few questions about my case. I originally decided on the NXZT Phantom 820 but decided to change to the Corsair 780T instead. Being my first ever custom build I have a few questions about changing a few/adding things within the case. First is the fans, it comes with 2 140mm red LED fans for the front which I like and plan to keep and a 140mm standard black fan for the rear which I would like to change to another 140mm red LED fan. Then the top of case supports 3x120mm or 2x140mm, should I buy fans for the top of case, if so 120mm or 140mm? I will be buying a CPU Cooler, that I think I'm mounting at the top (Listed below), can you have top fans as well as a CPU Cooler and is that recommended? Are the stock fans in the CPU Cooler worth keeping or replacing?

Next, while probably the case sub-forum isn't the appropriate place to ask this but I thought might as well do it here in this post. I want to change the stock black sleeved wiring from components to red sleeved wiring but I'm unsure what cables and how many cables I will need? I would like to change as many of the wires as I can but the thicker more obvious wires are the main priority. My build is listed below, any opinions or suggestions are welcome as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £246.04
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £88.34
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £162.10
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory £93.07
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £49.38
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £36.76
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card £531.98
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case £144.39
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £94.98
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer £48.56
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) £71.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1566.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-07 21:50 BST+0100

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the build looks fine mostly, except you can do better for a cpu cooler. corsair cases have fixed fan mounting holes, unlike phanteks or NZXT, so no, though this case is big and fat, you cannot even mount a small 240 rad + 120mm fan next to it. here's a look at the top: http://i.imgur.com/2BMM8de.jpg

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I noticed on the case specifications it said that for a top radiator it fits either a 360mm or 280mm and was concerned about my choice in CPU cooler but then looking at some images a build on here includes the 240mm Corsair H105 and also a build on the corsair website Corsair Build using it. I have also been looking at the Corsair H110i GT or the NZXT Kraken X61 as a 280mm cooler, which one of them is the better option?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the NZXT one is quieter. if you can, go for the swiftech H220X or H240X. lower noise level than both, better performance than both.

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I have seen the swiftech coolers, they are a bit too pricey to spend on a cooler for me considering my budget is at its limits. Also there seems to be a problem trying to buy swiftech coolers in the UK. The only one that is listed with a retailer on this site is the H140-X and even that is sold out. Searching the H220/240-X comes up with no retailer selling them and instock

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

true, stock is poor. the best clc options are the CM Nepton 280L and NZXT X61. the Nepton 240M is good if you want a quiet one.

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'll add the extra £10 and get the NZXT X61 and change the stock fans to red LED ones to shine through the top

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

For cables look at cable mods they have a variety of colour options Also why not go sky lake for better upgradable the in the future

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I have seen cable mods and at £70 I was hoping there might be a cheaper option. I have seen Bitfenix on Overclockers do individual red sleeved cables but I am unsure whether this would work out cheaper or more expensive because I don't know what or how many cables are needed. I have been seeing 'sky lake' often on here not knowing what it meant but searching it and realising it meant the architecture of the CPU and a LGA1151 socket on a motherboard allowing DDR4 RAM. I have made a part list using it but it is another £100 on top of my other build price and that one is already £100 more than my first version because I upgraded from a 980 to TI. All these builds exclude a monitor which I am having to buy at a future date because I cannot afford it as well right now, so the reason why is purely down to budget.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube