add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the best CPU cooler?

coolguy562

53 months ago

So I currently have the Antec Khuler h2o 650, and it is terrible. It is so loud and can't even keep my fx 6350 from over heating I've needed to click it down all the way to 1.4ghz during the summer and if put under heavy load it can still overheat. So I am wondering what would be the destination CPU cooler to use. It needs to be quiet, around 120-150 USA (the cheaper the better), and preferably liquid cooled. Air cooled is OK as long as it isn't horribly ugly and will fit in my Thermaltake commander g42 case. The one I'm currently looking at is the cm nepton 240m.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 4 points

A Phanteks PH-TC12DX would be quieter and cool better.

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

Warning: French is included in the following text. If you are allergic to French or simply do not like it, PCPP recommends you not to read the text below. Any deaths or injuries caused by the French language is not a result of PCPP or it's members.

I ******* love this CPU cooler! +1!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

wouldn't the dual tower one be more effective?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes but the one I mentioned is still better than the one you have.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

agreed. I just got one and it's great.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I love mine, I just am wanting to unleash its full potential.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

^ this...and it looks cool!!! I just love staring at the damn thing.

look/performance - Phanteks PH fan performance - CM 212 Evo

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

The one I'm currently looking at is the cm nepton 240m.

that is a great cooler!!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I thought but I read a thread on here saying that after it got above 50% the fans and pump became loud and annoying.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

It becomes loud and annoying by 'silent' standard. But so do most other Cooler Master, Corsair and other brand name products. Noctua, beQuiet! and Thermalright (no name a select few) make very excellent air coolers, by comparison. But none of them are as effective as any water cooler will ever be. And it's not the pump that becomes unbearably loud (the pump will always churn away at the same level of noise), it's the less than glorious fans on the radiator that make most of all Cooler Master products nothing short of useless (again, for the very special and very limited standard of silent, vibration free operation which I will forever be an advocate of).

For most people, it is a question of belief whether they recommend an air cooler or a water cooler. For an air cooler, there is simple installation, a better chance of survival on cooler failure and a lower cost for decent components. With water coolers, you get smooth idles, better heat transfer, easily sustainable set values (being able to keep the temperature low for a long time) and better surivial rates when overclocking.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

So then what is a cooler you would recommend to keep my room heater (fx 6350) cool.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This Corsair, for example. Couldn't find it on pcpp (like so many other things. Weird). That will fit on the top of your case (takes up 2x140mm).

Alternatively you could go with the cheaper 120mm version here.

For air coolers, NHU14S, NHL14S or NHU15S.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

OK thanks, I might go with the corsair cooler, I just won't be able to mount it to the holes meant for it, same with a 120 rad cause for whatever reason the hokes for the 2 120 fans are drilled farther apart then what they would need to be for fans on a rad.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the cooler master nepton 240m doesn't have a PWM pump like the kraken X61, so it has to be run at 100%, the fans you can run at whatever speed you want. So saying

above 50% the fans and pump became loud and annoying.

doesn't make sense..

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well just quoting what someone in another thread said.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This sounds more like the cooler is not seated well or is in some way broken. Have you attempted to re-seat the cooler? How is the fan for the rad set up 1fan, push pull, intake, or exhaust? How long have you had it, and how long since the rad was blown out?

This made a major difference for me just last week, I dropped 11C at full load just by giving the rad a good cleaning... and oh boy did it need it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had the cooler for about a year, yes I have reinstalled it (3 times with new paste each time), it's in push pull and it is only possible for it to be mounted as an exhaust (if I get a new liquid cooler it will be an intake), and I cleaned the rad out a couple months ago (I do a full system clean once a year). I wouldn't surprise me if it's broken but it doesn't seem to be since one of the tunes is warm the the touch and the other is cool when the system is running. I personally think the cooler just sucks and was a mistake to buy.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case if your looking for cheap, the Hyper 212 EVO is kind of a default choice. Depending on the case the NZXT Kraken x61 is very good (I have the x60). As a general rule anything from Noctue is good and quite.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube