add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Alpenfoehn Matterhorn

Professor_Kirke

53 months ago

I didn't see it on this site, but it looks like a pretty nice cooler (based on the very limited information I have). Have you guys seen it or know anything about it?

"Pure" Edition

White Edition(also Black)

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Main reason why it isn't listed on this site is that EKL Alpenföhn-product is mainly and almost exclusively sold in Europe. EKL makes decent fans and heatsinks, but they use the DirectTouch-system which has been getting a bad rep lately (words like "overpriced" and "no discernible advantage" come to mind).

Apart from that, the Matterhorn is on the more expensive side of things and comes with a large fan that moves air like none other, so any power hungry CPU and wimpy cooling system will reap a great benefit from this cooler.

Personally, I would rather go with a Brocken 2, specifically the PCGH-Edition. The B2-PCGH comes with two fans instead of one, and moves about half as much air, but is also cheaper by about 4 pounds and runs quieter (the 140mm fans are capped at 700rpm, while the Matterhorn's 120mm fan goes up to 1400rpm).

Neither of these is a particularly good value, as that is already Noctua or beQuiet! money. EKL is most popular for their low-budget lineup, including the Brocken ECO, the Panorama and the Ben Nevis (the latter of which is a low-budget masterpiece that beats the Cooler Master 212 Evo by far).

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh, that explains things. Thanks for the info. I wonder if some of the high price comes from them investing in making it look nice. I know Noctua is about the best out there, but they are just so ugly. =P I mean... did they have to choose colors that don't match anything else?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no source on this, but common consensus is that it's a marketing decision. Noctua fans always stand out, they are immediately identifiable and will never be mistaken for something else. It also plays into Noctua's mascot, the Owl, to be a more natural color.

Even the Industrial-grade fans have the characterisitc brown. The only one that deviates is the Redux-line, and that is just replacement parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube