add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA 1000 P2 or G2?

dRsNiPEs101
  • 55 months ago

I'm going to upgrade my PC soon for sli 980 Ti's, which my current 750w psu can't handle. I've decided against buying a 850w since the estimated power after upgrade only gives me around 70-80 watts of headroom, which isn't bad but I plan on putting a full water cooling loop in the future. I've been thinking of getting the 1000w P2 but the G2 is $40 cheaper currently. Is there a big enough difference between the two in terms of performance, reliability and noise for the $40 dollars to matter?

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 4 points

Both are equally good though the P2 is more efficent. Perosnally I think the G2 is better, although your power bill will be marginally bigger ($2 at most) so unless your gonna keep it for 20 years it isnt really worth it but it is an exellent PSU

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

i don't know why someone took points from you.... +1 to erase that ugly 0

so unless your gonna keep it for 20 years it isnt really worth it but it is an exellent PSU

will we still have computers in 20 years.... lol

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

there is a big difference in terms of noise. if you are after a quiet 1000 watt psu and live in the US, options 1 through three are these:

• 1) EVGA 1050GS: quiet optimized and based on seasonic's KM3/XP3 platform. the only 1000 watt cheaper than this that isn't completely subpar in some or every way is the EVGA 1000G1 made by fsp (an older platform, not quiet, not great, you don't really want it).
  • 2) Corsair RM1000i: this unit is an improved (yes, it's better) version of their HX100i. it uses in cable capacitors like the EVGA G2/P2/T2 series for beyond excellent ripple supression and has 100% japanese capacitors throughout. it's the quietest 1000 watt psu out there (same as the HX I suppose) and the cable sleeving is better than the HXi too. pleasently uncommon for corsair these days this is one of the best 1000 watt values on the market at either the same price or +/- $10 compared to the 1000G2.
  • 3) EVGA 1000 PS or 1000 P2: the 1000 PS is another seasonic based unit but with platinum efficiency. the 1000P2 is a more refined superflower model than the 1000/1300G2 with a hybrid fan mode, all tier 1 japanese caps and generally quiet fan profile. it still has those bright red pci-e cables so that may or may not be appealing to your build aesthetics.
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a red build so I thought the EVGA would fit in nicely, I did also see that the P2 has an Eco mode. I don't have any experience with that; it says it keeps the fan off on low load but isn't specific. Doesn't it make much of a difference? Also acoustics are not a big deal, I'm more focused on performance but would prefer it to not be annoying when I don't have headphones on

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

yes the difference is big because 1000+ watt psus typically don't have quiet fans because the heat at those loads is pretty significant. unless you browse with headphones too you still wanna buy something else. the fan is always on and starting around 1000 rpm, same at idle and load. given that and the tier 2 caps on the secondary pcb, it's a good psu, but simply put you can get two or three better ones now, two of which won't even cost more. acoustics, performance, cap selection, the 1000 P2 is better in every way. the 1050 GS is equal or better in every way except ripple suppression. I brought up the noise because not only is it one of the things you asked about in your OP, you can search and find no shortage of people complaining about the 1000G2/1300G2's loud fan profile. these were the first superflower units EVGA made right after they launched with the NEX series. the 1000 P2 came next, then the 750/850 G2 and 1200 P2. those were where they perfected their act. you plan to do a custom water cooled build. so a likely silent at idle and quiet at load computer with an always on blast psu fan. just skip the first revision products and go with the improved versions. makes life easier for you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube