add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£1000 3 Monitor Build

Mpowell
  • 57 months ago

Hello,

My Son has recently graduated from University (With a good grade thank god!) and his Birthday is coming up. He's been banging on about wanting a 3 monitor set-up for god knows how long. I've teamed up with his Uncle to surprise him, we've already got 3 decent monitors and the 3 arm stand for them. But I have a limited amount of Tech knowledge, I'm assuming that following YouTube guides, various websites etc I can work through a PC Build (If a 13 year old can manage it I'm sure I can). Alternatively if what I'm asking for already exists in an out of the box build I'm open to that as well.

What I would like for him: We live in the UK. Can Support 3 screens at once, I know he plays battlefield if that helps anyone? The Colour Scheme isn't much of an issue but he has a High Gloss White desk so a white case might be good? I saw other photos of some really good looking LED Lights so if there's a case with those that'd be great. Really I just want a great Gaming PC for him that'll give him the 3 screen gaming he wants. We don't need a keyboard or Mouse. The Screens we already have for him are Identical to these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/IIYAMA-ProLite-XU2290HS-B1-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B00HY77URI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442343753&sr=8-1&keywords=IIYAMA+ProLite+XU2290HS-B1+22+inch+IPS+Ultra+Slim+Bezel+Widescreen+Monitor

Any help would be appreciated. Mark.

EDIT: Sorry, completely forgot to mention that I wouldn't need an OS. I still have a spare copy of my 8.1 left over from my own PC.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PhPXwP

this is a powerful computer

the newest socket/motherboard (1151) with an i5

nice little cpu cooler if he wants to overclock (could just leave it be too, still good temps)

a fancy z motherboard with usb 3.1, sata express, and all the new **** you want for your motherboard

pretty standard 1t hdd

a very powerful variant of the best consumer graphics card on the market (he will only play the highest settings)

a pretty nice fractal case, no leds or anything it looks good as is

and a fractal power supply

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Wouldn't be my first choice in PSU... Tiwianese 85C rated capacitors used throughout doesn't inspire a ton of confidence, though ATNG's build quality in terms of layout/soldering/etc isn't bad.

Might be worth mentioning that since the monitors are all DVI/HDMI, and the GPU only has 1XHDMI and 1XDVI, the cabling requirements to connect all of the monitors may not be immediately obvious.

I would probably use a passive DVI cable, a passive HDMI cable, and a passive displayport to HDMI adapter cable for this build. That way it would be easy to identify which monitor is connected to which port. On the other hand, for an OCD freak, 3 X passive display-port to HDMI cables would make for a cleaner looking setup.

I think it would be a real shame to have all that CPU, GPU, monitor, etc, and no SSD. If we're really going to make that compromise, then the worst performing modern mechanical 1TB drive in its class would not be my first pick. (WD blue has poor access performance).

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the Feedback, I've spent the last few hours doing a fair bit of research into other builds both on this site and off trying to educate myself somewhat. I came up with the below build although having seen yours I'm leaning more towards swapping out the 2 2x 4GB DDR3 Memory in favor of your suggested 1 x8GB DDR4 and perhaps adding a second if it's needed?

I was also wondering about the 6GB Jetstream Video card you suggested, it's 2GB Less than the R9 I researched but almost £200 more. Is there a reason for this? I have no clue about the technical differences between the two, this would again be up to one of you to educate me on which would be best for the 3 monitor set-up.

My Attempt at a build, feel free to laugh but afterwards please do point me in the right direction. partpicker

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you have me confused with trickkynickk.

The "reply" button here on PCPP is specific to a post, to keep things organized. I believe you probably meant to reply to trickkynickk.

Your build has a few minor issues but nothing too aweful.

The V300 series SSD's from kingston are bait-n-switch duds. Pass.

The memory controller on the 1150 and 1151 socket systems is dual channel, so a 2X8GB kit will provide the same interleave functionality and performance.

In order to support an upgrade path to dual GPU, the PSU should be at minimum 850W for an i7-K + R9 390's.

The H100i doesn't deliver any particularly special results in terms of cooling vs cost vs noise levels. There are less expensive heatpipe based coolers that work as well and are quieter, also, there are superior AIO CLC's to choose from if that's what you're looking for. (I think they are largely a waste, as they afford very little in terms of performance gains for a lot of money. I wouldn't spend more than $50 (maybe ~40 pounds?) on an HSF for anything but a very high end build)

An i5-6600K would probably be less expensive to implement and actually performs about on par with i7 haswell's in gaming.

about the 6GB Jetstream Video card you suggested, it's 2GB Less than the R9 I researched but almost £200 more. Is there a reason for this?

The amount of VRAM on a GPU is a small piece of a much larger puzzle. The actual GPU core is the primary distinguishing factor from GPU to GPU... To put that in perspective, think of a GPU like a small "system" on a card, with its own processor and RAM, changing the amount of RAM connected to it just changes the amount of space the processor has to work with. The SIMD processor found in a GTX980Ti is "bigger" than the SIMD processor found on an R9 390, so can achieve higher render throughput in most workloads and conditions.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, first time figuring all this out.

Here's the updated build based on your comments and below is what I've done:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Mpowell/saved/J7xqqs

Based on your advice I switched out:

• The SSD changed from the Kingston to a Samsung 120GB SSD - I'm presuming the brand of a better quality.
  • The HD has been changed as you mentioned in your first post that the WD model had poor assess performance and was basically rubbish.
  • If the 2x 8GB and the 4x 4GB both provide the same end result I'll opt for the 2x8GB Ram leaving 2 free slots.
  • The PSU I have changed and for the sake of an extra £30 I've changed it to a Corsair RM 1000w model to allow for future proofing the upgrade paths you mentioned.

There are still two issues I see, the CPU cooler I mentioned I quite liked the look of but that was just from an aesthetic point of view. Which would you recommend I switch it with to achieve the best results in terms of Cooling vs Noise. I don't want to hear a jet engine taking off when I walk in his room.

Thanks for explaining that last point, my issue now is the Graphics card. Would that R9 390 perform well with the 3 screen set up or am I simply better biting the bullet for the £200 more expensive option? - If he can still play Battlefield and whatever else he plays in High detail with either one I don't see the point but If we're talking about the difference between medium/High settings I might be won over. Although I'll be expecting a **** hot Fathers day present. -_-

Thanks again for the insight, I realize this probably feels like teaching Nursery.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Realizing now there are quite a few more things that need addressing here for this build to be "complete"

The SSD changed from the Kingston to a Samsung 120GB SSD - I'm presuming the brand of a better quality.

I should have mentioned this before....

240GB is pretty much the minimum SSD size to be worth bothering with unless it is a very application specific build. Single game installs these days are pushing 10-50GB each, 120GB won't go far at all.

The HD has been changed as you mentioned in your first post that the WD model had poor assess performance and was basically rubbish.

The comment about the hard drive, is only applicable if software is going to be installed on it and run from it. The WD blue is one of the best performing drives on the market in its class for media storage, video editing, and stuff like that (great sequential performance). It's also a nice quality drive that has great reliability trending. My comment was actually in reply to tricky's build, which has no SSD, thus, the operating system and software would all have to be installed on that WD blue, a recipe for long loading operations. Remember, software is made up of tens of thousands of tiny files, not a few large files.

The baracuda drive you switched to in an attempt to solve a problem that your build doesn't really have, has about the same performance traits as the WD blue it competes with, slow access, high sequential bandwidth.

The PSU I have changed and for the sake of an extra £30 I've changed it to a Corsair RM 1000w model to allow for future proofing the upgrade paths you mentioned.

That's fine. The EVGA G2/P2 series and XFX 850W - 1KW units are also worth a look.

the CPU cooler I mentioned I quite liked the look of but that was just from an aesthetic point of view. Which would you recommend I switch it with to achieve the best results in terms of Cooling vs Noise. I don't want to hear a jet engine taking off when I walk in his room.

On low fan speed, almost anything will be reasonably quiet, and anything this large will not need to run any faster than low fan speed to provide all the cooling that could ever bade made use of on the 1150 socket platform anyway. The bottleneck on this platform winds up being the thermal density of the chip and its interface to the HSF. There's a ton of performance compression on this platform caused by the very high thermal density, and very little to be gained form expensive HSF's anyway.

my issue now is the Graphics card. Would that R9 390 perform well with the 3 screen set up or am I simply better biting the bullet for the £200 more expensive option?

The issue is actually bigger as there's something I forgot to mention before...

While the GTX980Ti, and most every GTX950 or better, supports up to 4 legacy digital monitors (like the ones you have picked out for this build), AMD actually only natively supports up to 2 monitors of this type out of the box. The R9 390 would be able to connect to 2 of these monitors via traditional legacy cables (HDMI/DVI), however, the 3rd monitor would only work if connected to an active display-port to HDMI or DVI adapter. This adds a bit of implementation complication and expense...

You're probably thinking... "but the card I have picked out has 2XDVI and 1XHDMI, it should work."

You'd think building computers would be intuitive. Nothing about this industry is intuitive and the marketing departments and bean counters call a lot of the shots on hardware, this results in significant obfuscation. While it is technically possible for a vendor to produce an AMD GPU with support for more than 2 legacy digital monitors, that would require the inclusion of an active adapter on the board, which adds cost. I'd be very surprised if this XFX product had such an adapter onboard, but you could always contact them and ask if all 3 legacy digital outputs can be used simultaneously. The answer, assuming you get someone who knows that they are talking about, will almost certainly be "no."

As for the performance in BF4: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/11.html

3X1080P would fall right between the 1440P and 4K results.

The 390 might be little lightweight for this initially, but if the second one is added, it would be just about perfect. Keep in mind, that the active adapter mentioned previously will still be required even with a second card installed, as all monitors that are part of a crossfired group of cards have to be connected to the master/primary GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £199.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler £33.74 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £111.00 @ More Computers
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £76.08 @ More Computers
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £124.79 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card £253.99 @ Aria PC
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case £55.20 @ Aria PC
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £99.99 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) -
Case Fan NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan £7.00 @ Aria PC
Case Fan NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan £7.00 @ Aria PC
Other Samsung Ultra Slim External DVD Writer - Black £23.67
Other active displayport adapter £24.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1016.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-16 01:10 BST+0100

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube