add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

in need of knowledgeable advice.

illiadin

51 months ago

first ill show my build...just for reference. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gh4CXL

so the dilemma i find myself in...i found a guy selling an old pc on craigslist, which im interested in for parts, mainly the case, but its got a hdd and whatnot too. he wants 20 bucks for it which would save me around 80$ if it all goes well.

heres the craigslist add http://showlow.craigslist.org/sys/5221041616.html

heres the closest case i could find on here. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-vn400a1w2nb

as you can see there are some minor differences, build quality is probably passable hahaha. but i just want something to house my stuff.

my main question is this, if everything works in the case, buttons usb ports, case fans, etc. will a standard ATX mobo be compatible with it? has the way motherboards attached to the case changed in the ast 10 years?

is there a difference in the way AMD and INTEL mobos attach?

if there is, could i reuse the mounting screws? or does the mobo come with new mounting screws?

if both of those are "no" could i buy mounting screws somewhere?

i'm kinda worried because that mobo has an amd 3200 in it, which is a single core CPU...so the mobo in the case has to be old...and i cant find anywhere that mobo mounting points have changed.

anyway, thanks for reading, any advice would be nice. sorry for being such a noob :(

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

A ATX MOBO should fit in there just fine. There should be no difference in mounting points for AMD vs. INTEL the ATX form factor governs those things.

I would save the stand offs, and screws from the case. Even if the MOBO comes with them (fairly sure it will NOT) extras are a very good thing, they are small and have a bad habit of getting lost or forgotten when cases (standoffs and screws are usually with the case) are sent out. There are places you can buy them; however, its not always as easy as typing in "mother board screws". Again much better to save the originals. This is especially true for the stand offs. Those could be a real hassle to try to buy aftermarket.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the information man, much appreciated.

could i call up a manufacturer and ask to buy some screws?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

A case manufacturer, likely could. Should not need to if the case your getting second hand currently has a system installed there should be standoffs and screws already installed. Worst case screws you should be able to get at any home improvement store... if you can get the size right! Standoffs would could be harder to get if the case manufacturer used some strange diameter; however, that is more likely with OEM cases rather than a Thermaltake product. I was able to buy a bag of them from Microcenter, that have fit NZXT cases, and Corsair cases so its likely there is some standardization out in the market. I just know the same standoffs would not fit in my old HP OEM case.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

good to know man, thanks.

worst case scenario ill bring the acse in with me to the hardware store and find the stuff i need.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck, and hopefully you will not need to truck the case to the store!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube